2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Didnt Know 5.9's were gas guzzlers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:29 PM
moparman95
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Didnt Know 5.9's were gas guzzlers

I have a 95 Ram 4x4 w/ a 5.9 and amazingly get 15-16 mpg just driving around town. Im not too sure what I get on the highway b/c I live out in the country and dont do a lot of highway driving. I havent really done any major mods to my truck yet. The only things I have done were practically just maintence : champion truck plugs, taylor wires, rotor cap& button, pcv valve, oil sending unit, waterpump, ngk o2 sensor, stock fram air filter, coolant temp sensor, fuelpump, 192 thermostat, all new hoses, new goodyear serpentine belt, new y-pipe with a catco cat, and flowmaster american thunder 50 series dual exhaust. The only real mod was the exhaust and I run 255/70/16 tires. So is the kn FIPK II air intake supposed to be the best? Where did everyone buy theirs from and who has the best prices? I've heard of the fastman TB to and am seriously looking into buying one if it really gives you 2+ mpg. Is the 52mm the one that I want to get or is there a different size out now that everyone is buying?

Old 07-14-2005, 02:29 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I bought my K&N kit thru Summit Racing. You'll want the 52mm TB for sure. that was one of the best mods I've done to my truck. actually, the K&N and the TB are the only 2 mods I've done by themselves... all of my other mods have been grouped on an install...

Old 07-14-2005, 10:06 PM
grainger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for waking me up, time sure flies, lol. I guess thats a month and half of checking the gas mileage and any hopeful improvements.
ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

ORIGINAL: grainger

Well, I have a month and half under my belt with the new install of the K&N and I am happy to report that the gas mileage has gone from 13.5 mpg to around 15 mpg driving 50/50 city/highway. This is an honest report...I am not one to "sugar coat things". I don't drive my truck like I stole it, so maybe that helps.

Month and a half? lol your last post on this thread was almost 3 months ago... [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Quick Reply: Didnt Know 5.9's were gas guzzlers