2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

getting a ram saturday

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt the chain jumped. If it did, the timing could be way way way off and it could have valves opening as pistons are coming up. IF the chain jumped it could be far worse than just slapping on a new chain.
How did he diagnose a jumped chain?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:46 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^How did he find out the timing chain? I wouldn't go off his word - don't trust anybody. Either look at it yourself or take it to a shop that you know (dealership) and make sure it is something as simple as the chain.

That said, here's a DIY.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-37.html

Old 01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Originally Posted by vmann
Would a SC count as an effective tune?

I was planning on doing a 180* t-stat later.
A superchips tuner would be effective if you can input what kind of thermostat you have installed. I am not sure that it would have that feature though.

However, I do know that some people on here have a 180* thermostat in the summertime, and switch back to the 195* in the winter. But then you have to keep switching back and forth between thermostats.

Remember though, that a cooler engine might be recieving cooler, more dense air; but an engine running at operating temperature burns fuel more efficiently.

Last edited by Ram_Me; 01-21-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
blong4life
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
I'd like to also suggest something, and that would be for him to put ALL the info about his truck in his SIG.
Once I pick er up saturday morning I will.

He said he did a complete tuneup, etc great for about 2-3 weeks. Then it was starting to run rough and now it just won't run at all.

Could be a shotty tuneup also. New IAC, MAP, and TPS

Had dist cap, rotor, pickup coil, wires, plugs and a new fuel pump

Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 AM
vmann
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
A superchips tuner would be effective if you can input what kind of thermostat you have installed. I am not sure that it would have that feature though.

However, I do know that some people on here have a 180* thermostat in the summertime, and switch back to the 195* in the winter. But then you have to keep switching back and forth between thermostats.

Remember though, that a cooler engine might be recieving cooler, more dense air; but an engine running at operating temperature burns fuel more efficiently.
I live in texas and we get the 100+ heat here in the summer time so im assuming all it can do is help.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
blong4life
Professional

Originally Posted by vmann
I live in texas and we get the 100+ heat here in the summer time so im assuming all it can do is help.
100 plus is a lot different than 20, you want it warmer for the heat .

Going to check it out tomorrow and throw a deposit down, won't be getting it towed up here till Tuesday or Wednesday and i'll start deassembly/diagnosis next week (Late work week this week)

Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
blong4life
Professional

So it's arrest me red. 134k it's in decent shape so I'lklupdate you guys this week once I nab it.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I dunno It pretty cold here in Buffalo and my 180 stat still lets the truck get plenty hot enough for the heat....were talkin 15 degrees here ...I could see the 160 stat having issues...but I get no cel.

that also seem kinda weird that it just quit running like that have you tested the fuel pressure or checked for wet plugs? also I would think you would get a code or two at least?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-23-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:25 AM
blong4life
Professional
Red face

Getting it towed here Tuesday, gonna report then. Will check for CEL's and stuff then. For $700 can't complain.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Ram_Me
Captain

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I dunno It pretty cold here in Buffalo and my 180 stat still lets the truck get plenty hot enough for the heat....were talkin 15 degrees here ...I could see the 160 stat having issues...but I get no cel.
When I had a 180 stat, my temperature wouldn't get above 160. And that was in 60 degree weather.

When your engine is below operating temperature, it doesn't care about the air/fuel mixture, cause as far as the computer is concerned, the engine isn't hot enough; so it runs rich. Once it gets up to the temp the computer wants (it won't usually with a 180 stat), then it will pay attention to the oxygen sensors and adjust the air/fuel mixture accordingly.

Quick Reply: getting a ram saturday