2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aged Tires, a Driving Hazard (MUST WATCH!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 PM
RatFink309
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow , great post !
I'm checkin my cars first thing in the morning !!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:15 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got three tires from 2004 and one from 07 so im good, no sign of fatigue either

Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Its like that with all kinds of vehicles... and it surely isn't only the female's cars either.
yep, you can't forget about city boys either. i've got to go change a friends thermostat and plugs on his girlfriends crown vic today because he is the type that doesn't even know how to air up a tire. he had a coolant leak the other day and i told him to get under there and look around to see where it was coming from, but he didn't do it because he wasn't sure he could find it. i said all you have to do is look for a wet spot. so when i got there i had him crank it up and looked around and found a crack in the radiator. lots of fun.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 97thumpinram
I agree, a large percentage of s.u.v. owners are soccer moms, old women, or preppy girls (near me at least) and they wouldnt know how to answer if you asked if their vehicles was up on its maintanence.
Exactly what I was trying to get at.

Oyler, just because you, yourself takes care of your Denali (nice truck BTW!) doesnt mean that you get lumped into the generilization that SUV owners dont take care of their vehicles. There are still many owners who take very good care of their SUVs (Me and you get in that category). There are just a large percent of SUV owners who dont know their elbows from oil filters.

BTW I just took the spare off my S-10. It was made in the 35th week of 1994!!! That tire is older than I am, and it is on a truck that was made in 1998! What is weird is, it spent 10 years in Michigan weather and doesnt even have a crack on it! Uniroyal must have made a ****-load of tires for Chevy in 1994 and just put them in a warehouse to be used over the 11 years that they made S-10s. Weird.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Now thats getting a little harsh, dont ya think purple? Or should I say Viper37?

And since when does any of those small SUV's weigh more than a full size pickup?
I didnt think it was harsh. I probably should have said something like "uninformed owners", but some are just dumb when it comes to maintaining their vehicles.

Try to convince me that a Blazer doesnt weigh more than a S-10, or a Exploder to a Ranger, 4Runner to a Tacoma, or a Tahoe to a Silverado. The thing is, SUVs weigh more than the trucks (or cars) they are based on. They might not weigh as much as our full-size trucks, but SUVs have a higher center of gravity than trucks because they have more sheetmetal up top. Plus (a large majority of) owners of SUVs (more stereotypes!) cant control their trucks in a wreck, whereas owners of trucks may know their vehicle more, and know how to control it.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I didnt think it was harsh. I probably should have said something like "uninformed owners", but some are just dumb when it comes to maintaining their vehicles.

Try to convince me that a Blazer doesnt weigh more than a S-10, or a Exploder to a Ranger, 4Runner to a Tacoma, or a Tahoe to a Silverado. The thing is, SUVs weigh more than the trucks (or cars) they are based on. They might not weigh as much as our full-size trucks, but SUVs have a higher center of gravity than trucks because they have more sheetmetal up top. Plus (a large majority of) owners of SUVs (more stereotypes!) cant control their trucks in a wreck, whereas owners of trucks may know their vehicle more, and know how to control it.

I completely understood where you were coming from man, and meant no harm at all. I just wanted to stick up for "us" fellas who do take care of their vehicles...

And that Denali, although a GM product, is a VERY nice vehicle btw. Its a 2005 Yukon, but since it is the Denali package it has the 6.0 litre in it. Damn, if my 5.9 had half the power that thing did I would be STOKED. Not to mention we got just over 19 MPG with it the last long trip we made (typically gets 15.5-16 around town). Very nice usable power, and very respectable milage.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

I completely understood where you were coming from man, and meant no harm at all. I just wanted to stick up for "us" fellas who do take care of their vehicles...

And that Denali, although a GM product, is a VERY nice vehicle btw. Its a 2005 Yukon, but since it is the Denali package it has the 6.0 litre in it. Damn, if my 5.9 had half the power that thing did I would be STOKED. Not to mention we got just over 19 MPG with it the last long trip we made (typically gets 15.5-16 around town). Very nice usable power, and very respectable milage.
That sounds like a nice truck. Also sounds like some really good gas mileage! Maybe 25 MPG from a S-10 with a 5.3 in it is possible!

And can anyone decode what 011500Ram was talking about?

Last edited by PurplDodge; 01-25-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the bar is the exam lawyers must pass

Quick Reply: Aged Tires, a Driving Hazard (MUST WATCH!)