2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 PM
zamora209
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake question

Hi I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me out a little with the problem I have.I have a 2004 Ram Hemi 5.7

My right brake pad had worn out pretty badly,I did not have money at the time and couldn't replace them,but I had to continue to use the vehicle for about a month to get from and back to school,now at first the sound it was making when I applied the brake was just a squeeky sound,but as time went it became a grinding sound,along with vibration,indicating Metal on metal contact.As much as I didnt want to I had to continue using the vehicle for about two more weeks.Until yesterday when the grinding became less loud,but more high pitched,almost like a jet engine.

As I approached a stop light I noticed I had to apply alot of pressure to the brake pedal,and It became very soft and mushy.On the dash the ABS and Brake light promptly turned on.the truck is now parked for good until I can fix the problem.

So finally my question is what is my worst case scenario,What damage have I done,and an estimate of costs for repairs would be appreciated.i know I wont know for sure what the problem is until I have someone check it out,but I just want to see how much money I'm looking at spending.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:05 AM
yakkier
Banned

Honestly, you're going to need a rotor thats forsure and a set of brakepads. but the abs light will shut off once every thing is fixed. the reason why it's all mushy and getting quiet is because you've worn past the pad and past the mounting braket and prolly grinding into the insert for the caliper. so worst case is you will need a new caliper which isnt expensive, usually a brake job is going to cost you around 120 bucks over all. rotors caliper and pads. could be even cheaper if your caliper isnt damaged, dont sweat it theres not alot of major damage you could do to it that cant be reversed at a low expense.

Also welcome to dodge forum, and for future information on your truck IE engine,suspenion body parts i'd consider posting in the 3rd gen ram, our trucks stop at 2001 here.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 AM
halfamil
All Star

Prolly should have put pads on it for $15. Live and learn!!!

Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 AM
xray99
Banned

You can afford a 2004 Hemi, insurance, the gas to drive it around, and can't afford brake pads ?

Something doesn't add up.
Anyways, jack it up, take the tire off, find someone who knows how to fix it, and be done with it.
Changing brakes is simple, watch them do it and take mental notes, next time you can do it yourself, unless you are a girl.
And BTW, do both fronts with news pads, if not all 4 pads.
Doing 1 to save time and $$ is simple minded, and leads to headaches and more $$ down the road.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:57 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xray99
next time you can do it yourself, unless you are a girl.
lol. that was funny.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:25 PM
yakkier
Banned

Im sure a few women on here would love to kick you in the ***** for that

Old 01-23-2010, 05:34 PM
babyhuey6810
Professional

Cant believe somebody would risk their life for the cost of a set of brake pads.I did some stupid shyt like that once ,but then I graduated high school.Well the good thing for you is that when you do plow into somebody you will probably kill them,but since its a big truck,you wont get a scratch.Hopefully the family of the deceased will still be sueing your childrens children.Sad thing is it was a 15 buck repair in the beginning,but now its gonna be a lot more

Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 PM
yakkier
Banned

layoff he was just asking a question, dont be a *****

Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 AM
babyhuey6810
Professional

Im a ***** because some guy drives a vehicle that isnt safe to be on the road?He doesnt take it off the road until it starts to scare him,and Im a *****?My 16 year old daughter drives on the highway too,just dont want her to get killed because some people dont feel safety is a priority.Maybe you should ride along on the next fatality with your local rescue squad before you start calling someone a *****.And if I am a *****,you must be the dirty sock I get rubbed out in.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 AM
xray99
Banned

I'm sure we have all put off necessary repairs, for lack of $$, time or inclination at one time or the other.
The OP however had taken it to an extreme, by driving it for weeks after hearing grating metal on metal sounds, this almost sounds like a setup post to troll for responses its so over the top.
If true, it was a highly ignorant thing to do, you can put off fixing bad shocks or a leaky valve cover for a while, but not brakes, gas lines ect.

As stated, he/she not only risked their own life, but 100's of others on the road as well, all for a simple repair that could be done for well under $100 at just about any hole in the wall service shop.
Ignorance and extreme laziness like this should not be ignored, but called out, and I agree with babyhuey.

That said, OP, please get it fixed, and please don't do something like that again.
You ignore warning signs like that, you actually should not even own a vehicle.

Quick Reply: Brake question