2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:31 PM
lblair04
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Ideas

Hey all,

As you all know...tax season is right around the corner. I made a deal with my wife that she can get some DLR expensive camera that she wants for her graphic design, if I can get dual exhaust. Question is...should I buy a kit from Summit, or try and find a local shop to do a custom exhaust? I will probably do a high flow cat also. If I get the high flow cat now, I will do the plenum now so it wont burn up a good cat (I dont even know if my cat is burned up now or not).

Would the plenum issue cause it to crank awhile when I first start it up in the morning? I have read about the plenum's but havent seen much about my starting issue. Just did timing chain, water pump, plugs, cap + rotor and it had the starting problem before and still does. Oh, also sucked seafoam through the brake booster vac line. Could TPS or IAC cause the starting problem? I will go check fuel pressure today, but I can hear the fuel pump turn on. Its been taking awhile to start the first time for a couple years now.

Thanks guys

Old 01-23-2010, 08:37 PM
yakkier
Banned

Exhaust, i personally would go to an exhaust shop and have them do a custom setup, kit's are nice and all but it's always better to have them bent while your there so you can tell the guy where you want it to come out at and also could possibly look at it for future mod's while he's in the process of bending/welding it all togeather.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM
lblair04
Veteran

I was thinking, I wouldnt mind just a single pipe like factory. Are there any drawbacks to putting a high flow cat (what would you recommend for cat?), flowmaster 44 muffler and a chrome tip on the factory pipe? Mine is not rusted out at all and I dont have leaks...thanks to no salt.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 PM
yakkier
Banned

Do you live in an inspection state ? if so then i would go with either a highflow cat or a catback system from summit, if you dont live in a inspection state then i would consider just doing a hallow drone "aka glass pack" in place of your cat, or just cut the cat off completely right after the O2 sensor and have them weld a piece of pipe in it's place, just remember the more flow, the more power you get

Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
lblair04
Veteran

Alaska just did away with our inspection Jan 1st this year. I will be going to New Mexico next, so I will check if they have inspections.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 PM
elementalnature
Professional

Always go custom. Find a nice set of headers to start with, go custom mandrel-bent piping out, then your cats, and then go with magnaflow or Borla exhausts. I'm not too big a fan of Flowmasters but you can pick what you want.

Just remember the mandrel-bent piping, that seems to make a world of difference in the diesel industry when people exit stacks through the bed.

Also, the key in mandrel-bent piping is the smoother the bend, the better flow and that is what you want. The more exhaust that can exit, the less that stays back, the more power produced.

If you would, elaborate more on your issue with starting in the morning. Is it cold out or warm, does it only happen on the initial start in the morning and never there after? Remember to start at the bottom of the issue and work up. Fuel, air, and spark have to exist for ignition. Start at the easiest to fix, plugs and wires seeing as how you have already done the cap and rotor. Pull the plugs and check the tips and gap. At night start the truck and spray the wires with water and watch for sparks.

If that doesn't work check air. Filter and flow are key here. Clean the filter or replace it.

Fuel is the last option. Clogged lines or blown pump. A quick option is run some seafoam through the tank.

Also I would double check your timing and tightness of the cap, seeing as how you've done the cap and rotor. Possibly threw the timing off a degree or two.

Last edited by elementalnature; 01-23-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Also remember that you will need an exhaust that is tailored to how you drive your truck.

If your truck is for drag racing and high RPMs, you want bigger pipes.

However, if your truck is for lower RPMs and regular use, you will want smaller pipes.

The bigger pipes, the less backpressure, which is better for high RPMs; the smaller pipes, the more backpressure, which is better for low RPMs.

Make sense?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:48 AM
lblair04
Veteran

Thanks guys. As for the starting issue...it does it at the initial start up (does it in the summer and the winter, so not a temp issue) and it also does it if I shut my truck off for longer than 15 mins. Plugs just got replaced with the cap + rotor...starting issue was there before plugs.

Any other ideas? It runs good, but this is more of a problem that just pisses me off!

Also, for the exhaust I just drive normally...just looking for some grunt and to sound good. Wouldnt complain about a couple more mpg either.

Thanks again

Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah magnaflow 99000 si/so would work really well, it will make noticible throtlle responce and make your truck louder also , so if you want it quite get a bigger muffler and get the cat

if you like it loud get the cat and cherrybomb extreme or flowmaster original40.

i had the combo of cherrybomb extreme and highflow cat and really liked it , i reccomend checking out youtube lots of diffrent stuff , i have vids in my signature of mine

Old 01-24-2010, 01:44 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you like single, you should go with 3"

Quick Reply: Exhaust Ideas