2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Antifreeze smell/leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
sugahplm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it was the heater core and we didn't even try to flush out but realize that might be the next step if there is still junk in the system. this all started with losing coolant from the radiator/hoses and then i can't remember something else in this system now the heater core.
and he was (ggrr) using tap/hose water some of the time so there you go. but it is blowing real hot now, no leaks so fingers are crossed.
i was telling him about , if i understood this right, some of y'all are bypassing the heater core for the cooling/ac weather? is that right? with a switch and some hoses?
might be a good idea so we'll talk about that later.
thanks again for all the help and input. don't know what we would do sometimes without this forum!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Hawk01
Default Heater Core Blues

Hope you don't mind a newbie jumping on the end of this thread instead of starting a new one. Heater core issues??? Drained and flushed radiator twice, back flushed heater core 3 times ( no more brown crap coming out and have good flow ) Use Bars leak, Still smell antifreeze (outside) but no leaks anywhere. Windshield does not fog up. Both heater hoses get hot as heck, but mild to luke warm heat is all I get. New antifreeze and good thermostat and engine heating up to the 195 mark. Any thoughts why no heat if I have good flow and both hoses are hot?

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

it could be your blend door is mixing too much cold air with the warm heater air.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Hawk01

any way to get to the blend door w/o taking out 1/2 the dash? Where would the smell come from then?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

you must still have a small pinhole leak in your heater core than, that's the only spot where the smell would come from. Keep an eye on the level in your coolant resevoir. No there is no way to get at the blend door easily.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze smell/leak?