2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about code scanners

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 AM
JasonB
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about code scanners

(I'm resubmitting this.... I orginally put it in wrong forum)

Hi Guys,

I currently have a P0441 on my '97 Dodge Ram... I know I can get rid of the engine check light by disconnecting my neg cable.... and turn the key on for a few seconds to erase the PCM memory of the event...(I hope I worded that right)

So here is my question... If I use a scanner to reset the PCM does it actually wipe out all memory of the event? (Again I hope I worded this right)

I guess what I'm asking do scanners erase ALL memory of a fault event?

Also there is a relatively cheap scanner (Actron CP9125) on Amazon for $54.... Anyone have one of these or an opinion about this scanner?

Thanks........ Jason

Old 01-24-2010, 09:36 AM
xray99
Banned

Code scanners can clear select codes, or all codes.
They'll come right back if the problem causing them isn't fixed, which is a good thing.
I suppose there might be some practical use to clear codes on a whim, but the best way to clear them is fix the problem thats causing them.

I'd recommend getting one that tells you some basic info, like "TCC circuit malfunction" or "Misfire cylinder #4" instead of just "PO300".

Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 AM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Verify that it will read codes on you're truck.
I got the actron 9449 ABS and it only works on the 3rd gens.
go to the actron website and look through the PDF's

Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure the scanner will wipe everything from memory. My usb scanner (that plugs into laptop) warns me when I click on 'clear codes' that it'll reset the codes, distance since code set, etc. I can't remember what all it says but I'm pretty sure it resets everything, it shows a list of it all

Old 01-24-2010, 11:40 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking for a scanner you can "borrow" one from them. They have really nice ones to use.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by VEETEN
Verify that it will read codes on you're truck.
I got the actron 9449 ABS and it only works on the 3rd gens.
go to the actron website and look through the PDF's
Good idea..... I went to the site and all it would say is that the scanner would work with ALL '96 model cars and newer. I could never find anything that said it would work on a '97 Dodge Ram.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Canyon Man
Amateur

I paid 40 bucks from harbor freight for a Cen Tech and it works great for my 96

Old 01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonB
Good idea..... I went to the site and all it would say is that the scanner would work with ALL '96 model cars and newer. I could never find anything that said it would work on a '97 Dodge Ram.
96 and up is OBD II.
when I got the ABS it said it works on MOST OBD II vehicles, but when I got it home it was more like it works on SOME OBD II vehicles
anyway you'res should work it only reads the P-codes though.
I read these on mine by the key turn trick.

ABS i think is a C-code and only read by a DRB-III reader.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:13 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by xray99
Code scanners can clear select codes, or all codes.
They'll come right back if the problem causing them isn't fixed, which is a good thing.
I suppose there might be some practical use to clear codes on a whim, but the best way to clear them is fix the problem thats causing them.

I'd recommend getting one that tells you some basic info, like "TCC circuit malfunction" or "Misfire cylinder #4" instead of just "PO300".
I guess the reason I want to clear the P0441 code is sometimes it's years before the engine check comes on again. It almost makes me think the PCM is in error in issuing the code. I've had the code occur 5 times over the 13 year trucks life. The first four times I simply disconnected the neg battery cable. I didn't take any specific action. This last time the engine check light came on I replaced the gas cap.

This is what I don't understand........ Why doesn't the ecl come back on immediately after I disconnect and reconnect the neg battery cable... IF in fact there is a real problem to begin with....... Can someone please help me understand this......... Thanks..........

Old 01-24-2010, 02:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the pcm doesn't discover and report the problem until conditions allow all the tests to run and enough data is recorded.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ive-cycle.html

Quick Reply: Question about code scanners