2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny?? with cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
ehlersa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I'm having a similar problem and still trying to figure it out. Mine has been doing this for probably close to a year now. It started off similar to yours......when I'd start it for the day and put it in gear it would take a few seconds before it moved, almost like the pressure in it had bled off and it had to build back up. Through this forum I was able to find out that your trans doesn't really pump any fluid when you are in park (there is a part you can buy to change that if you'd like...i haven't) so you either have to put it in gear or neutral to get it pumping. Well after mine had been doing this for a while, then I got a check engine light. I checked the code and got the P1740 code. There seems to be a lot of issues with this code, but mine doesn't seem to fit everyone else's problem. Mine drives just fine, just when I start it (hot or cold weather) it has to build the pressure back up before it will move. If I stop for gas or something it will move right away on restart, but if it sits for a few hours or more it will have to build up the pressure again before it moves. I've just been starting it and then letting it warm up in neutral for a few seconds and it will drive just fine. I finally changed my transmission fluid a few nights ago and found what looked like a piece of a piston ring in the pan. I'm assuming this is some sort of ring that does something with keeping pressure built up while the truck is turned off. I started a post a few days ago trying to figure it out. Even though I know something has broke, it continues to drive fine. I'm hoping I can continue to drive it like this and only have that slight inconvenience in the morning. Oh, I have a 2001 Offroad Sport 4x4, 5.9L, with 120k miles. Hope yours is a different problem. Many of the other guys seems to be an easy fix if they get the P1740 code. Try doing this with yours, let it warm up in neutral for a few seconds then try driving. Does yours do the same as mine? I know this isn't really a fix, but mine has been still driving fine for atleast 5-10k with this issue. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:45 PM
contractorben
Rookie

Well being to think some more is going on. I did the neutral trick this morning did not work had trouble making it up a hill this morning. I toped the fuild off at work, I added a little to much fluid is now a little above the cross marks. I feel a slight vibe going down the road. And when i come to a stop light it is like i can feel the rear end catch up to itself. Seems to be a pretty bad slip starting out. What is going on with my baby guys?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 PM
contractorben
Rookie

one more thing i also have air bubbles on the dipstick

Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 PM
contractorben
Rookie

Please help, open to any ideas.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 PM
contractorben
Rookie

I am thinking about adjusting the tranny bands, changing the fluid, and adding some lucas. Bad idea? What are the specs to tighten bolts for the bands?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by contractorben
I am thinking about adjusting the tranny bands, changing the fluid, and adding some lucas. Bad idea? What are the specs to tighten bolts for the bands?
That should be fine. Don't be to suprised to see a big pile of friction material and metal bits in the pan though. It sounds like your tranny may be on the way out. I think the bands get tightened to 72 in/lbs then backed off a certian number of turns but I can't remeber. Search the forum it has probably been covered.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:43 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

Change your filter and check the governor pressure solenoid while you got the pan off, there is usually a far bit of crap stuck to that. Tap a drain plug in the pan too while shes off.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 PM
contractorben
Rookie

Thanks, off tomorrow wanted to do tomorrow. Cant, because going to rain. Do you all think that I am in bad shape, I want to believe not. Due to the bands havent ever been ajusted, idk what is the life of this trannys? Do yall recomend rebuild of this tranny or aftermarket? If aftermarket which one?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

has the transmission fluid ever been changed?

i'd do things one at a time.
drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. refill with atf+4 only.
don't add lucas.
pray that it helps.

i'm no trans expert, but i think the bands have to do with shifting, not starting off. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

you're in augusta. do you remember forum member montec? he's a transmission guy in summerville, sc. i'd find/call him up and take the truck over there and have him fix it. that's what i'm going to do when mine goes out. i'll haul the sob over there on a trailer if i have to.

where are you in augusta. my son is over there in second year med school.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
has the transmission fluid ever been changed?

i'd do things one at a time.
drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. refill with atf+4 only.
don't add lucas.
pray that it helps.

i'm no trans expert, but i think the bands have to do with shifting, not starting off. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

you're in augusta. do you remember forum member montec? he's a transmission guy in summerville, sc. i'd find/call him up and take the truck over there and have him fix it. that's what i'm going to do when mine goes out. i'll haul the sob over there on a trailer if i have to.

where are you in augusta. my son is over there in second year med school.
Your sorta right about the bands. The kickdown (front) band helps during shifts but it also holds in second gear. The low/reverse (rear) band only holds in reverse and manual low. When in breakaway low (drive) the overrunning clutch holds (mechanical no frictions/steels here).

Quick Reply: tranny?? with cold