2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best plenum fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:06 PM
red hawk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the info .. great help.. has any one tried the intake from hughes ... sounds like a good upgrade with the added mpg increase and the power increase ... but pricey has anyone got any feedback on it .

Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 AM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red hawk
thanks for all the info .. great help.. has any one tried the intake from hughes ... sounds like a good upgrade with the added mpg increase and the power increase ... but pricey has anyone got any feedback on it .

I'm curious to hear as well... I will be doing my plenum repair sometime soon, and if I'm already $150 bucks into it, and the MPG claims are accurate, that thing will pay for itself quickly.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 AM
BIGRED97
Captain

there have been a couple of threads on this when they came out a few months ago, some tried and liked it, but i dont believe anyone was able to verify the mileage increase that is advertised. do a search on the hughes airgap intake and you should find a few threads.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i just put the hughes plate in a couple months ago and i didn't see any gains from it, but my original gasket wasn't leaking that bad to begin with.
if you are going to get a hughes kit then i suggest not using the compression gasket that comes with it (thin metal that seals by getting crushed). that is the style of gasket that was on my plenum and it was leaking.
i got this one from the parts store - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_966016619___
it is metal with rubber on both sides and seems like it would make a more reliable seal.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Best plenum fix? Is to elimanate the plenum. Meaning, an intake and ditch the kegger altogether. Hughes/Edelbrock Air Gap, or MP M1. Either one is going to put a dent in the wallet. Sometimes you get lucky with an ebay or craigslist find. But note, especially on ebay they list new intakes for around $200, they ARE NOT FOR FI MAGNUMS. Seen too many guys get suckered and buying one,just to find that is for a carburator not a TB.

+1 To all that mentioned using the Felpro plate gasket. We did a Hughes plate on our 97 5.2 shop truck, just to have to pull it apart in about 8 months because it was leaking again. Installed a Felpro and new hardware, and nothing since, and that was almost 2 years ago now.

Quick Reply: best plenum fix