2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I replace the speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 PM
supwd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I replace the speed sensor?

So my check engine light has been on for a little while, I had someone pull the code and he said its the speed sensor and for me to just replace it ( the one on the transmission he said, not sure if thats correct? )

And yesterday the ABS light came on, as well as the parking brake light is on, even though the parking brake is off, so I did some searching but still have a couple questions.

There is a speed sensor on the transmission, and on the rear differential right? Which one should I replace? And I can't find either one, does someone have a picture or diagram of the location?

1999 Dodge RAM V8 with 52,000 miles

THANKS!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

do the one on the rear diff. its mounted to the top of it with one 12mm or 14mm nutbolt holding it in. after you get the connector and nut off, pry up evenly on it. dont try to pull it out, for when i did that i brokethe bung on the sensor off in the diff, and it was a pain to get out.

just pry up evenly to make it come out...should take you less than 5 minutes to change

the rear speed sensor does trip the abs and brake light...and i think they are only like 30-40 bucks

Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
yakkier
Banned

^ 1+ what he said

Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
supwd

Thanks, but replace that one even though the check engine light came on for speed sensor months before the ABS light started to come on? Or i might need to replace both sensors?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the one on the trany is at the rear, cant remember which side.....very easy tho

Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM
yakkier
Banned

Driverside top/side of tranny. Not hard to get to at all

Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you got a check engine light on ?

do this - read the CEL codes by turning the ignition key slowly to ON OFF ON OFF ON and read any codes displayed in the odometer.

ON means where all the gauge lights come on, one click short of where the starter turns.

OFF means turn it backwards one click where the lights go off.

if the above doesn't work, then go to most any parts store and they will read them for free. if they do, then you WRITE DOWN the codes. don't allow them to tell you what it means, or interpret it, or sell you a part you don't need.

once you get the codes, look them up in the OBDII tables via google, or post them here.

always check your codes. never trust a parts guy to tell you what it means.

the speed sensor on the trans is called the speed sensor. the sensor on top of the diff is called the rear abs sensor. on my 01 4wd, the trans speed sensor is on the output shaft of the tcase. passenger side maybe? can't remember. its the only sensor/connector in the output end.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 PM
DODGERAMBIGRICHEDITION
Default Sensor problem

I would replace the one on the rear diff. easy to do and only 21.00 for my 2006 ...Its on top and just work it up slowly and with even pressure.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Does your speedometer work? When the sensor on the rear diff goes out the brake and abs lights come and the speedometer also quits working. If your speedometer still works I would guess that you need to replace the one in the tranny, but I don't know for sure.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
supwd

Just replace the one on the rear diff. and the ABS and brake lights went away. but the CHeck engine light is still on, so tomorrow I will replace the one on the tranny.

I hope I can find the one on the tranny, I looked today and didnt have much luck...

thanks guys

Quick Reply: How do I replace the speed sensor?