2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding gauges, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gipperkid
How do you like those glow shift gauges? Is the oil filter adapter from Glowshift also? What part number is it?
Yes, the oil filter adapter was from Glow Shift and at $25 it was a steal. Billet aluminum and well made. So far, the gauges have been great. I have a choice of 7 colors to use (none matches exactly to the stock green) and they have performed flawlessly. Everything you see in the pics is from Glow Shift. Wiring was simpler than what Purpl detailed. The senders need only a ground (can be anywhere) and one wire going to the gauge. The Gauge needs only the one sender wire, a ground and a switched power supply (light is always on when the truck is on). Not difficult to hook up at all.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Yes, the oil filter adapter was from Glow Shift and at $25 it was a steal. Billet aluminum and well made. So far, the gauges have been great. I have a choice of 7 colors to use (none matches exactly to the stock green) and they have performed flawlessly. Everything you see in the pics is from Glow Shift. Wiring was simpler than what Purpl detailed. The senders need only a ground (can be anywhere) and one wire going to the gauge. The Gauge needs only the one sender wire, a ground and a switched power supply (light is always on when the truck is on). Not difficult to hook up at all.
Thats how the lights were on my Autometer gauge. You should use a relay so you dont overload the circut that you tapped into. Plus you can be assured that you are getting a full 12 volts to your gauges for accurate readings.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 PM
gipperkid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Oil Pressure.

My three would be Oil PSI, Transmission temp, and wideband Air/Fuel.

I just don't see the purpose of Air/Fuel unless it is for boosted applications or performance tuning.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

I just don't see the purpose of Air/Fuel unless it is for boosted applications or performance tuning.
Actually, an A/F gauge can help you drive more economically.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 PM
gipperkid
Veteran

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Thats how the lights were on my Autometer gauge. You should use a relay so you dont overload the circut that you tapped into. Plus you can be assured that you are getting a full 12 volts to your gauges for accurate readings.
Did you use a relay for each gauge, or only relay for all the gauges?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 PM
gipperkid
Veteran

Economically and Dodge do not go together. Haha!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Did you use a relay for each gauge, or only relay for all the gauges?
I only have one gauge. You can probably run them all off one 40 amp relay.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

The relay is really overkill for this application. The draw of 2 or 3 gauges is negligible and won't tax the stock wiring or electrical system enough to warrant it. If you feed them from the fused side (not the feed side) of a 10amp or greater circuit in your fuse panel you should be fine. I used taps designed just for this that I got at Radio Shack. They provide an attachment for a spade terminal as seen here:

With the gauges in the left pillar the wiring was easy to run to this fusebox.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 02-04-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:20 PM
jamestheron08

whats the part number for the glow shift oil adapter for the v10 i called them and they said they didn't make one for the v10 i just got my trans water and oil press today and have no clue how to hook them up

Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by jamestheron08
whats the part number for the glow shift oil adapter for the v10 i called them and they said they didn't make one for the v10 i just got my trans water and oil press today and have no clue how to hook them up
You just have to tell them the specs of your oil filter: 3/4 x 16
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oilfi...-34unf-16.aspx
A 1992 Ford Mustang 5.0 uses the same filter as our trucks do (Motorcraft FL-1A or WIX 51515) and would use the same adapter. Glowshift just hasnt realized that yet!

Last edited by PurplDodge; 02-04-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Adding gauges, a few questions