2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It's tire time!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:43 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the BFG muds with about 40,000 plus miles with 2 Rotations, now i got remington mud brutes replacement recently, not the greatest but what my buget could afford at the time..cuz price was $400 for 33./12.50/16.5 tires off craigs user brand new, if i was to do it again i'd try to to find the BFG'S IN ORIGINAL, NOT THE KM'S 2 .........Will stick with what worked in tha the past..........but it's hard finding the "Good Ole chit" Seriouly good luck miami! my tires throw mud like no tommorow, but longevity i doubt it....

Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGRED97
i dunno how you feel about retreads but i got some from treadwright.com over the summer. i know several people here are using them and there are several reviews, some dont like the idea of a retread but i havent ehard of any issues, so far 6months in and no issues. come with a 2 yr warranty, and paid half of what i would ahve for new bfg at 285/75/16

and yes need a video of lighting up the old tires!

I was thinking about those tires a while ago, was in contact with them regarding prices, shipping, etc., and really liked the price. Like you said half the cost of anything else. Shipping them up here is quite high though, by the time they're here I'd be spending as much as a new set. Are you happy with them? It's just about tire time for me and I'm lookin around

Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

I've heard good reviews about the retreads.... my friend has a set on his jeep and loves them! I'm looking into new tires as well once the tax return comes in... I destroyed my BFG's over the last year with all the mods I did last spring... the tires took a beating! Might go with the retreads to save some money

Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 PM
torp74
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same decision to make in a few months myself. The BFG A/T's I have on now have about 10k left on them. The tires I a looking at are the Thornbirds, and the SSR's. My wheels are 16.5's so that limits my options somewhat.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/p...den-a-t-d.aspx

I think I found my next tire.. Going to save at least 52% compared to new

Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by iwhitne
http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/p...den-a-t-d.aspx

I think I found my next tire.. Going to save at least 52% compared to new
Walnut shells and glass? Really? Why isn't any other manufacturer using this compound if it is so good? And no guarantee that the casings/sidewalls will match on a set of four. Pass.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Walnut shells and glass? Really? Why isn't any other manufacturer using this compound if it is so good? And no guarantee that the casings/sidewalls will match on a set of four. Pass.
You get to pick the sidewalls. So if you get teh tread that looks like a BF Goodrich A/T, you can get them with BF Goodrich A/T KO sidewalls. Hell, you can get them in Michelin LTX M/S sidewalls if you wanted to.

But I will pass on them, too. Who knows, maybe one of the tires I get is over 20 years old.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

According to the website FAQs, they will try to get you matching sidewalls, but they don't guarantee it. And even if they match how do you know they were all the same age before they got recapped? No thanks, retreads are fine for OTR trucks when on multi-wheel axles, but I don't want them on my truck.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
According to the website FAQs, they will try to get you matching sidewalls, but they don't guarantee it. And even if they match how do you know they were all the same age before they got recapped? No thanks, retreads are fine for OTR trucks when on multi-wheel axles, but I don't want them on my truck.
Exactly. Hell, in most states, retreads are a no no on the front axle since they tend to pop a little more than new tires and on the front, well that's a mess.

The 3rd genners do like their Nittos and Kumhos though...

For me though, I'll stick with my Hankooks.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

I have faith in them... they've been in business for more than 30 years!!!

FYI... not going with the walnut shells and glass.. i'm not that "green"

also.. talked with my buddy tonight.. he called them when he ordered his and asked if he could have matching tires and they said they almost always send out 4 matching casings.. and will call you in advance if they do not have 4 matching casings.. at that point you can decide to cancel the order.. or.. but put on a hold list until they have 4 matching casings

says so on the site as well http://www.treadwright.com/ShopNow/t...3/Default.aspx

furthermore.. 2 yr 24,000 mile warrenty for half the price of a new one

17 point inspection as well.. they aren't going to send crappy tires to you because that's got a lawsuit all over it!!

I can respect those of you that don't trust retreads.. for good reason... if I had an unlimited budget.. i'd by new everytime... but man half the price!!!

I'm still all for it

Last edited by iwhitne; 02-04-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: It's tire time!