2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No wheel stops on Dana 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
The knuckle never makes contact with that. That's what I thought a bolt in the hole on the knuckle in front of that stop would contact, but when I put the bolt in they did not line up.
It contacts on mine..At least it did when I had the wheel and link off, and was trying to get the hub off the steering knuckle..made a nice thunk every time i would move the knuckle back and forth..
Mines stock maybe the sport is different? IDK

Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VEETEN, if you had the link undone, that's why it would hit, the Sport package is cosmetic, nothing suspension related

Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a steering stabilizer on yours? There's no way I can turn that far in either direction unless I remove it. Still, I don't feel like I'm missing any turning radius.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

My guess, and I'm not connected with that anymore, is that when Dodge went to factory steering stabilizers, they felt there was no longer a need for the adjustment. Less maching operations= reduced costs.
I'd be a bit concerned about binding without the stabilizer, because I don't know that a couple of casting bumps would provide enough of a safety net.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 02-06-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:33 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Guess I misread you're question.
I would say that this is the steering stop, but with the linkage and steering damper attached properly this should never touch. HMMMM... Poor design I guess.
I'll be taking my truck for a spin tommorrow I'll check again with everything attached.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 PM
yakkier
Banned

i'll take some pic's tomorrow morning when it's daylight, i'll turn it all the way and see what happens cause i swear there's times when i pull into a parking spot i cannot straighten my wheel out for nothing, and its not the power steering cause once i put it into reverse and try and straighten the wheels out that way it takes a minute but will finally pop loose. but if you sit there an try an turn it, it refuses to budge and you can put your full body on the wheel and nothing happens.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

What do you think these mounting tabs are for? There's the lower one and another just like it at the top of the knuckle (see pic). They have a cleanly machined hole in both of them.

I can't believe the stabilizer acts as the steering stop. It isn't really strong enough and when it bottoms or tops out everything flexes. Not good. Can't believe Chrysler designed it this way.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:08 PM
yakkier
Banned

isnt that the hole they use for mounting the front tounge for being towed ? i thought that they mounted them on the spindles inorder for the front tires to be able to turn with the truck that's towing you. if that makes any sense at all ?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

I don't think they're strong enough for that.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 PM
yakkier
Banned

Thats strange, i guess the dana 60's dont have it, mine's a dana 44 and they have them and they line up perfectly WITH and adjustable bolt.

Quick Reply: No wheel stops on Dana 60