2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Short Box single cab 7" lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Gnarkill666
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Box single cab 7" lift

this is for anyone with a single cab short bed lifted around 7", do you have a CV joint on your rear driveline and if not do you get a weird noise at any speed (most likely higher speeds) you cant figure out, or that you know is cause from a driveline angle? was told its a harmonic imbalance because my rear axle is tilted up and all the angle from the lift is put on the upper part of the driveline where it slips onto the Xfer case, causing crazy noises in the pumpkin and Xfer case.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

You sure its from your rear shaft? 7" of lift (well, actually probably only 5 or 6 in the back) should not cause any vibration issues if the rear axle is properly shimmed.

Did your transfer case get clocked when that lift was installed?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Gnarkill666
Rookie

Originally Posted by olyelr
Did your transfer case get clocked when that lift was installed?
Yeah its clocked but that only affects the front driveline.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Gnarkill666
Yeah its clocked but that only affects the front driveline.

Yep, I'm well aware of that. I was just wondering if it was at all possible that the noise was coming form the front shaft.

I dono man, my guess is its not the fault of the drive shaft angle. Theres just too many rams out there running around with that much lift or more without any issues. If the angle was too steep for the stock drive shaft to operate properly I'm sure skyjacker would offer a new drive shaft with the kit, or at least say a new one is recommended due to possible vibrations/noises.

Are you for sure the noise is coming from the rear? Maybe its in the rear diff? Or a bad u-joint (although I'm sure you checked those already)?

On a side note, how do you like that lift kit?

Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Gnarkill666
Rookie

Theres less then 8k miles on the lift, Heavy duty trany rebuild, ring & pinion, and the Xfer case was just rebuilt. had it all checked out muitiple times by the people that did all the work, and ive been into all of it myself. I did leave out one thing in the first post but it is only happening when i let off the gas. only thing left to do i should have tried when i was putting the Xfer case back in i guess, drop the driveline and see if it does it in front wheel drive or with no load at all.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing you also have the transmission drop bracket installed.

Also, -On models with a rear carrier bearing, if a driveshaft vibration is present, the crossmember must be lowered to eliminate vibration.

So with that said, I'm thinking that that much lift on a single shaft with regular cab short bed may have some issues.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:06 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Aubrey
I'm guessing you also have the transmission drop bracket installed.

Also, -On models with a rear carrier bearing, if a driveshaft vibration is present, the crossmember must be lowered to eliminate vibration.

So with that said, I'm thinking that that much lift on a single shaft with regular cab short bed may have some issues.

Transmission drop bracket? I have never heard of one for our truck. How would it even work without lowering the motor and transfer case too?

Short box regular cabs don't have a carrier bearing.

Knarkill, if you pull the rear shaft and take her for a test drive, don't forget to plug the rear output as you will loose some fluids.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oly - it's in the installation instructions. There's a LOT of parts to a Skyjacker 7" lift.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:22 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Aubrey
Oly - it's in the installation instructions. There's a LOT of parts to a Skyjacker 7" lift.

Gotcha. I will have to check them out. I know the transfer case gets rotated, but I did not know about the transmission. Makes me curious.

Yeah, the kit definitely has a lot of parts... hence the reason for such a large price tag hahaha.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 PM
acarlsson918778

Any luck with that drivetrain yet? I'm new to the forum and I've been looking at the Skyjacker 7" long-arm kit for my '99 short bed regular cab ram. How does it perform?

Quick Reply: Short Box single cab 7" lift