2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Misfire on Cyl 8. Can't figure it out. help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:00 PM
codyselcamino
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dads v6 dakota threw a misfire code on the 3/5 cyl. changed the wires, cap/rotor, plugs and coil and it went away, but if you changed the plug, cap and rotor def. try a compression test, if it passes try a different coil

Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Ramt0ugh85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire on Cyl 8

Hey guys. Thanks for all the responses, but i got hit a week after posting so i had to deal with that. Now the truck has throw another Cyl 8 misfire code, but it went off after 3 days without me touching it. When the truck is started cold it blows out a nice amount of blue smoke and then never burns oil again when its warm. I checked the compression and its on par with all the other cyls. I thank you all for your input(s).

Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramt0ugh85
Hey guys. Thanks for all the responses, but i got hit a week after posting so i had to deal with that. Now the truck has throw another Cyl 8 misfire code, but it went off after 3 days without me touching it. When the truck is started cold it blows out a nice amount of blue smoke and then never burns oil again when its warm. I checked the compression and its on par with all the other cyls. I thank you all for your input(s).
The blue smoke is because your valve seals are worn and leaking. When you turn off your truck, the oil that is on top of the roller rockers and valves, is dripping into the combustion chambers until you start the truck again (overnight).

That can foul your plugs badly. maybe some engine restore can be a quick fix. But I would just get some junkyard heads. THat is the quickest and easiest fix...while you are at it, do your plenum and put on sole harland sharp roller rockers.

Quick Reply: Misfire on Cyl 8. Can't figure it out. help!