2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Misfire on Cyl 8. Can't figure it out. help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010 | 04:53 PM
Ramt0ugh85
|
Default Misfire on Cyl 8. Can't figure it out. help!

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 360 in it. About 4 weeks ago the check engine light came on, even though i could not tell, the computer said it was throwin a misfire on cyl 8 code. So i took the spark plug out and it was covered in oil. So i replaced the plug and also noticed the wire was not on the distributer well so i thought that was the issue. About another week went by and the light came on again. i pulled the plug again and it was indeed covered in oil. So i replaced the distro cap and it went away for about another week and is now on again. It usually only kicks on while on the interstate at high RPMs. However I cannot detect the misfire because it seems to run well. Please, Any help that i can get will be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-12-2010 | 05:03 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

the oil is most likely form a blow plenum gasket,,,, replace that with the hughes kit and then do a full tune up if you havent

Old 02-12-2010 | 05:44 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Do a compression test on all cylinders and report back here.

A blown plenum gasket wouldnt wet the spark plug with oil like the OP said. THe plug would burn it off, but would have a powder on it.

Old 02-12-2010 | 09:57 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
A blown plenum gasket wouldnt wet the spark plug with oil like the OP said. THe plug would burn it off, but would have a powder on it.
sorry there pulp it dont work like that http://www.v6z24.com/mods/howto/imag...gs/plugs19.jpg

Old 02-12-2010 | 11:03 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Oil could be leaking pass the intake valve seal or the guide. Does number 8 still misfire after you replace or clean the spark plug?

Old 02-12-2010 | 11:14 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ramt0ugh85
I have a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 360 in it. However I cannot detect the misfire because it seems to run well. Please, Any help that i can get will be greatly appreciated!
Misfires can be caused by a number of things, one being a fouled plug. If it's just one CYL, it's most likely No 8 because, that's usually the first CYL to drop compression first due to spent rings, valvetrain issue etc. Dodge Magnum heads are very well known for dry cracks at the valve seat and spark hole to valve seat area.

Now, the first thing that one needs to be aware of is, Dodge Magnum's are prone to misfire so much so that they put out a TSB to re-route the ignition wires to prevent that from happening. http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl654h.htm

Now, in your case, I recommend highly that you measure the compression in CLY No 8. IF- if it falls below 100- you've got a dead CYL that's not able to meet OEM spec for minimum compression for firing thus - no detonation, thus the oily / wet with fuel - plug due to it NOT being burned off.

I had a dead CYL due to bad heads- crack in No 8 valve seat coupled with a bad valve that would not seat 100% thus - 60-90 on the compression stroke vs 160 on the others.

Plug was somewhat oily but not excessive.

So, I think, you may either have some blow by at the oil ring that is either snuffing / fouling the plug or, no compression due to bad ring / blow by or, perhaps a valve / head issue.

Try rewiring it first and TEST

IF - if the problem persists: COMPRESSION TEST CLY No 8.

START there first.

CM

Old 02-13-2010 | 11:03 AM
25xs
Default Here is a very complete list of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's)

If you click this link, then scroll down to the first BIG RED LETTERSthen you will see the V6/V8 TSB for rerouting the sparkplug wires.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/Problems.htm

LOTS of really good reading on all the rest of this link as well... Shows how to test your engine for a plenum gasket leak with a pressure/vacuum gauge so you can either verify or eliminate that potential problem without ripping into your engine.

Tom

Old 02-13-2010 | 03:19 PM
zje400ex
Captain

Could a cracked head cause oil to mix with your antifreeze? Or could the plenum leak cause that?

Old 02-13-2010 | 07:29 PM
yakkier
Banned

Awesome as usual cm, i never knew that sparkplug wires touching eachother would cause problems. ty!

Originally Posted by cmckenna
Misfires can be caused by a number of things, one being a fouled plug. If it's just one CYL, it's most likely No 8 because, that's usually the first CYL to drop compression first due to spent rings, valvetrain issue etc. Dodge Magnum heads are very well known for dry cracks at the valve seat and spark hole to valve seat area.

Now, the first thing that one needs to be aware of is, Dodge Magnum's are prone to misfire so much so that they put out a TSB to re-route the ignition wires to prevent that from happening. http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl654h.htm

Now, in your case, I recommend highly that you measure the compression in CLY No 8. IF- if it falls below 100- you've got a dead CYL that's not able to meet OEM spec for minimum compression for firing thus - no detonation, thus the oily / wet with fuel - plug due to it NOT being burned off.

I had a dead CYL due to bad heads- crack in No 8 valve seat coupled with a bad valve that would not seat 100% thus - 60-90 on the compression stroke vs 160 on the others.

Plug was somewhat oily but not excessive.

So, I think, you may either have some blow by at the oil ring that is either snuffing / fouling the plug or, no compression due to bad ring / blow by or, perhaps a valve / head issue.

Try rewiring it first and TEST

IF - if the problem persists: COMPRESSION TEST CLY No 8.

START there first.

CM

Old 02-13-2010 | 09:02 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zje400ex
Could a cracked head cause oil to mix with your antifreeze? Or could the plenum leak cause that?
Yes, if the crack is what is called a wet-crack in which case, the crack allows coolant to mix with engine oi.

NO: if it's a dry crack in which case, the crack is isolated from coolant passages.

The plenum leak only affects vacuum- it's isolated from coolant as it's part of the INTAKE.

However, what can happen with that is, since it is a vac leak, it will suck engine oil INTO / THROUGH the leaking / failed gasket and this oil, is sucked into the combustion chamber. At this point, it's either burned off or it's not.

In the case where it's a gross-leaker, the amount of oil is far too great to be burned off thus inducing failure of spark due to fouling of the plugs.

CM

Quick Reply: Misfire on Cyl 8. Can't figure it out. help!