2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing Serpentine Belt....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Paele
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Serpentine Belt....

I'm about to replace the serpentine belt on my '01 Ram 4x4 with the 318, is there anything else that I should be aware of?

I was plannnig on taking it to the shop, and then another option was to have a friend come over but ...it looks like I'll be oidng it on my own....nothing like trial and error.

I read the repair manual, and so far, I need to relaese the tensioner, remove and replace the belt...is that it?

Please help if you can or share any advice.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

you got it, thats all you need to do. release the tension on it a bit, slide the belt off. either remember how it goes on or look at the diagram, get the new belt all routed on the pullies, and then put it onto the tensioner or alternator last as it will be easiest that way

Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 PM
yakkier
Banned

Serpentine belts are extremely easy, the only thing that you might run into is if you dont have your belt routing sticker on your core support, sometimes those stickers get flaked or scraped off and such. If you still have the picture then cool if not i'd suggest taking a quick picture of the routing of the belt because it can confuse you once you get to routing the new one back and getting the belt tensioner right.

I love serpentine systems vs the traditional multi belt systems.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:52 PM
White Ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strongly recommend spending the extra $$ and get the Goodyear belt. I believe the part number is 4070975 (with ac). Got mine at AutoZone for $31.99.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:21 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ram
I would strongly recommend spending the extra $$ and get the Goodyear belt. I believe the part number is 4070975 (with ac). Got mine at AutoZone for $31.99.
I also agree! My current Goodyear Gatorback has lasted me the past 100,000 miles before starting to squeak. And the squeak isnt even that noticeable. Will be replacing it with another Gatorback in the near future.

I read the repair manual, and so far, I need to relaese the tensioner, remove and replace the belt...is that it?
Yes, that is it. Make sure you use a cheater bar on the wrench that you use to release the tension on the tensioner. I think the bolt is a 14mm. Super easy job, no sense in having a shop do it!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After you take your belt off you should grab the tensioner and push it toward the drivers side and pull it toward the passenger side to make sure it doesn't stick in place, that would mean that it was bad.

The Dayco belt at Advance that is around 30$ is a good one and so is the Goodyear Gatorback at Autozone. I believe the Dayco belt has a lifetime warranty, so it is worth a call to see if that is true.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:37 PM
ophidia
Captain

+1 on Gatorback, +1 on making sure the tensioner is free, and +1 on the 14mm bolt on the tensioner!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

And don't throw away your old belt. Keep it in the truck as an emergency spare in case your new one lets go.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 PM
mr freeze
Veteran

Good idea there Aubrey.Get the gatorback.So easy a caveman can do it.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 PM
truegent81
Captain

yes the gator belt is the way to go. and it is pretty simple.

if you want, do it in the parking lot of auto zone in case you get confused and need some help. have fun, too easy.

Quick Reply: Replacing Serpentine Belt....