2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just bought my first RAM! Wipers won't work!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 AM
blbikerood
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just bought my first RAM! Wipers won't work!

I replaced the relay and fuse last night. Didn't help. I also replaced the wiper switch. Won't work. I can put a wiper motor in it but hate to spend the $50 if there is another place to look. The fuse box inside the cab didn't have a fuse in no. 16. Which is the wiper fuse, it just had some wire touching the two. But i put a new one in and it isn't blowing them. Everything else works on the truck. Even the cig lighters. Everything on the switch worked on the old and now the new. But when you turn on wipers. Nothing. Not even a noise. Any help will be greatly appreciate and I will be posting another question about a problem in overdrive. Thanks!

Corey

Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

if theres no hum when its on, then the wiper motor is probably toast...but did you manually wire in the wipers? if so you may have something messed up

Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If there was a jumper wire in place of the fuse, that means there was a problem with blowing fuses alot, and they jimmy rigged it with wire. All that does is mask the problem, and in some cases burn down the truck. Unfortunately whatever was causing the short is most likely toast now. can you get to the motor easily to check if there is power going to it?

If the motor isn't burnt up, then you must have a short somewhere, that maybe isn't shorting out at the moment, therefore not blowing a fuse.

oh, and welcome to dodgeforum and the 98 Laramie QC 4x4 club!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Please fill out your profile info so you don't have to put it in the thread title and we'll know what kind of truck you have every time you post. Welcome to DF.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blbikerood
I replaced the relay and fuse last night. Didn't help. I also replaced the wiper switch. Won't work. I can put a wiper motor in it but hate to spend the $50 if there is another place to look. The fuse box inside the cab didn't have a fuse in no. 16. Which is the wiper fuse, it just had some wire touching the two. But i put a new one in and it isn't blowing them. Everything else works on the truck. Even the cig lighters. Everything on the switch worked on the old and now the new. But when you turn on wipers. Nothing. Not even a noise. Any help will be greatly appreciate and I will be posting another question about a problem in overdrive. Thanks!

Corey
What's left to replace besides the wiper motor itself? Providing you have checked the wiring in the steering column. And the grounds.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM
blbikerood
Professional
Default work mechanic

said that I can run a cable from the battery to the hot wire on the motor and see if comes on, if so not the motor. I will try that after work.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:47 PM
blbikerood
Professional
Default Test worked, new motor fixed issue.

Thanks! I ran a hot wire from the pos to the hot on the wiper motor and it would wimper and wine but do nothing. Got a new one at autozone and it fired right up. well at least it works, but I wish I had done that before i replaced the switch in the column. :-) Spent $50.00 for nothing on that. but at least it is new and has fresh text on it!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ain't throwed the old switch away yet. you have a spare one now.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

it's good to have spare parts on hand.... I even kept my old serp belt that I replaced when the wife seized a pulley under the seat in my truck jussst in case. It's not in great shape, but it would do the trick

Quick Reply: Just bought my first RAM! Wipers won't work!