2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel line quick connetor leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Either way CM, both those pics you posted are just the failsafe/safety clips. If either one of those clips in those pics were gone, the line would still be secured to the fuel rail.
Yes, that is correct. I was attempting to have him identify which type he had- Type 1, or Type 2.

And, that was why I mentioned about needing a special tool to remove those lines as seen here:
IN BOTH cases, you will need a special tool to remove the lines once the failsafe clips have been removed.
CM

Last edited by cmckenna; 03-01-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Except if it's the plastic line. Which no tool is required. I know those pics of the manual I posted are not that good,but one of them shows the clip style that is on the plastic one. 97 is the only rams I've seen with the plastic supply line.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Except if it's the plastic line. Which no tool is required. I know those pics of the manual I posted are not that good,but one of them shows the clip style that is on the plastic one. 97 is the only rams I've seen with the plastic supply line.
The plastic / composite fittings are usually located away from the engine bay, under the body and, at the pump outlet.

What year did Dodge implement those by the way?

Here's the other style fittings:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

CM

Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Robertb6963
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe these pics will help

See but mine doesn't look anything like these.

Originally Posted by cmckenna
2. Type 2: is a dual type of latch that is NOT tethered to the line. This type of latch snaps into place and, has two separate latches which are easily identifiable.
I think this is the type I have.

I will take a pic tomorrow. I completely forgot I can upload pics from my phone. This is too funny that no one on the forum, at the dealer, junkyards, or other trucks I have looked at, have the same rail as mine. I am beginning to think I should get a different rail and supply line because the clips are gonna be impossible to find for this one!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Do take some pics because, I want to see this fuel rail for sure because, the only other one that they made was a composite type of rail that I am aware of. But, if your looking at Type 2, then, that's easy to replace and fix by buying a new flex line and, in less than ten minutes, you'll be leak free.

But, by all means- please post those pics ASAP as I am dying to see which rails you have along with the fittings.

CM

Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertb6963
See but mine doesn't look anything like these.
Thats because something is broken or missing. And fig.44 of CM's post is the plastic line. Whether or not that is at the rail the pic doesn't show that. All I know is, I worked on a 97 2500 a couple months ago. And it had a flat yellow steel u shaped and tethered safety clip .Then the primary clip was released with needle nose like the style in fig. 44. And it's confusing but that is called two tab style because it locks on both sides, even though internally it is one clip. And yes, please take a picture.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Fig 44 represents a quick connect fitting which is also found at the fuel pump. That is the same exact fitting that mates to the male outlet at the fuel pump. It also bends down at a 90º angle as in that photo in Fig 44. It is a two tab style but, the Type 1 and Type II only applies to the failsafe mechanism so, if the flat U shaped piece was tethered to the line, that yellow clip is classified as a Type 1 failsafe mechanism and, the line was plastic, coupled to a two-tab quick release female connector at the fuel rails. I understand what your talking about now.

Now, if Dodge implemented that on the 97s, it was to save money because, those are dirt cheap as was the lines. I could see from an engineering, cost saving driver- the reason to do this however, those are not nearly as robust as the braided flex lines that use steel fittings.

I'll bet that they had safety issues with those plastic supply lines thus the reason to switch back to the flex line style of lines. Was this the only year that you've seen plastic supply lines on? What about the 98s? I have seen the 99s and those were flex line equipped.

CM

Last edited by cmckenna; 03-02-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Robertb6963
Rookie

I am positive it is not Fig. 44. I do have those type of connections at the tank but not up top.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Robertb6963
Rookie

Thats because something is broken or missing
That must be what is going on....I hope!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Robertb6963
Rookie

And I am pretty sure that I have a braided flex line going to my fuel rail, I cant remember. But I am thinkin that the rail is plastic (or plastic coated steel)

Quick Reply: Fuel line quick connetor leak