2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Has anyone ever double stacked a set of rear leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, i did that on my old chevy. i didn't really know what i was doing, but i double stacked the 2 or 3 longest springs into my existing pack. it lifted the rear about 3 or 4 inches and hauled the world without sagging. i used a 5/16 bolt for a center pin and made some retainer clips to hold the pack together. i got the extra spring packs and u-bolts at the junk yard for next to nothing, maybe $10, i don't even remember.

the only problem was it rode like a mother****er when unloaded and didn't have enough brakes to stop it when loaded. other than that, the springs held up fine.

having done that ^, i recommend a set of timbren rubber springs for extra load. i've got them on the dodge. last weekend i stacked wood in tight and rounded it all the way up and drove like it wasn't there. very very little sag.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever double stacked a set of rear leaf springs?