2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 sprung a leak!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010 | 12:06 AM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Dude estech, that sucks man I changed mine about 20k ago and no problems at all. It almost makes me wonder if some of you guys have water pump bolts that are backing out or something, causing you guys some headache or even a poor seal directly from the factory( stuff like the factory messing up never happens though right? Hahahahaha). The ones I've changed I haven't heard from since! Makes me curious as to why thats happened to a few of you guys out there! I'd never heard of such occuring until this thread.

Old 03-11-2010 | 01:18 AM
estech2
Professional

I guess the 360's and the 318's are good for this.

Old 03-11-2010 | 07:27 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by estech2
***READ THIS***

I had a leak on my 360 6 months ago and could not see where it was comming from either. So I did the whole water pump replacement thing. Now here I am 6 months later with the the front of my engin torn off again to include the timing chain cover. All this time the gasket was bad between the block and the timing chain cover. The water pump was cashed anyway but I wish I had change the T chain gasket then.

I would strongly recommend raplacing the T chain gasket BEFORE you put the water pump back on. I am betting that is where your leak is. If you dont do this I guaranty it will still leak when the system is pressureized.
His looks like it was definitely the water pump.

I feel your pain on the timing cover gasket, I just changed mine a couple days ago, the gasket blew out right next to one of the main water ports and it was leaking down that side of the cover.
I just changed my water pump because I had to take it off anyway. Same with the timing chain, but when I got the cover off I saw that the timing chain was worn out. So it was a good thing I had a new one on hand already.

Old 03-11-2010 | 08:05 AM
RonRacer
|
Professional

Originally Posted by brokenroads37502
In a word "yes" if you had the spanner wrench you could have just slid some bolts thru those holes that were long enough to go all the way thru and touch the waterpump housing and if they stuck out a little bit you could put the spanner on them and it would work just fine with out them falling out! the torque you would be putting on them by twisting the twisting the fan clutch nut will keep them in the holes! Done it a few times it works great! no bolts falling out at all
ok i'll have to remember that. cuz we rented the tool but the directions just said put it around the pulley bolt.....so we were just scratching our heads, we were thinking that meant it should have already had pulley bolts??? and then the little pic that went with it didnt help at all

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:31 AM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Originally Posted by RonRacer
ok i'll have to remember that. cuz we rented the tool but the directions just said put it around the pulley bolt.....so we were just scratching our heads, we were thinking that meant it should have already had pulley bolts??? and then the little pic that went with it didnt help at all
Yeah stuff like that is always good to know for future reference. But the main thing is you got it done and you're back on the road and now you know a few different ways to skin that cat, and knowing is half the battle... G.I. Joe! Oh, wait sorry!

I really do like that Idea of using a nylon strap with a piece of rubber wrapped around the pulley. I can see that getting me out of a pinch some day since I don't carry that spanner tool in my truck with me!

Quick Reply: 318 sprung a leak!