2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 sprung a leak!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010 | 08:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Isn't it free from wherever you buy the part?

Old 03-07-2010 | 08:11 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Not at advance auto where i had to rent the tools i think it was like $30 bucks to rent or buy the fan clutch set. i had to put a credit card down with $90+ dollars to rent the harmonic balancer tool when i did the water pump and timing chain and i bought all my parts there, but when i did return the tools they credited my card back, I almost kept the tools for future use , almost worth it..

Old 03-07-2010 | 10:20 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Wow Dukesof Hazzard $30 for the fan clutch spanner tools thats a good deal I believe we used to sell them for twice that at NAPA but then they may have gone down due to more vehicles on the road with that type of fan clutch setup. I changed a friends Water Pump Had him Buy the tool And then my payment was the tool since I knew I would need it some day on my own truck Hahaha! But back to the post...

I agree with the guy that said check the weap hole in the water pump and verify that its causing your leak and not a hose or something else.

There are 2 different pumps for the 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9 They are interchangeable with any of the three engines the only fifference between them is that one has a pressed on pulley and the other has a pulley that bolts on to the hub. either way you should be able to slip a bolt thru the holes in your pulley. hold it in place with a wrench or long screw driver wedged between the hub and bolt head and then a large wrech to fit the fan clutch nut. I've never had to remove the pump, fan clutch, and fan as an assembly and then mount the fan blades on the inside of the pump into a vise but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Oh make sure to replace the bypass hose that was mentioned as well as your factory spring style hose clamps with some of the screw style hose clamps. Also a thin bead of blue silicone on both sides of the water pump gasket as well as a new o-ring around the heater pipe along with a small amount of blue silicone around that pipe too!

Hope this is helpful. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-07-2010 | 11:10 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by RonRacer
so after 8hrs, two broken strap wrenches, and slicing enough hand meat to make a turkey sandwich. the nut between the fan and thepump pulley has yet to budge....any advise??
Make sure you're turning it the right way. Mine was reverse threaded. Someone mentioned not all are, I don't know. I took mine off with a hammer and a chisle. Placed tip of chisel on edge of the big hex nut at an angle and beat the chisel with a hammer. Works kind of like an impact wrench. Left the belt on to provide a little tension. Didn't bugger up the big nut too bad. Could use a wrench instead of a chisel, but I didn't have one big enough.

Old 03-08-2010 | 01:01 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Originally Posted by jswain
Make sure you're turning it the right way. Mine was reverse threaded. Someone mentioned not all are, I don't know. I took mine off with a hammer and a chisle. Placed tip of chisel on edge of the big hex nut at an angle and beat the chisel with a hammer. Works kind of like an impact wrench. Left the belt on to provide a little tension. Didn't bugger up the big nut too bad. Could use a wrench instead of a chisel, but I didn't have one big enough.
Fellas I'm not sure what it is that ya'll are calling a reverse thread on these pumps but I do know that on the magnum engines you have And I need to correct myself you have 3 different pumps not 2. However, they all 3 will bolt right up your choices are as follows:

1) Pressed on water pump pulley

2) Bolt on pulley (standard duty pump)

3) Bolt on pulley (severe duty pump)

Sorry I forgot about the severe duty pump in my original pump. However I've sold enough water pumps for the Magnum 3.9L, 5.2L, and 5.9L to know that they are all the same pump with the difference being the style of pulley and the vanes on the inside of the pump. They are all reverse rotation pumps meaning that as the engine is running they spin in the opposite direction of the water pump from an older LA series 318 or 360 these pumps used V-belts and turned the same direction as the Cranksaft. Yet the threads on the hub are all the same.

This is what the Dodge manual states about taking the fan clutch off:

(4) The thermal viscous fan drive/fan blade assembly
is attached (threaded) to water pump hub shaft
(Fig. 6). Remove fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly
from water pump by turning mounting nut counterclockwise
as viewed from front. Threads on viscous
fan drive are
RIGHT-HAND. A Snap-On 36 MM Fan
Wrench (number SP346 from Snap-On Cummins Diesel
Tool Set number 2017DSP), Special Tool 6958
Spanner Wrench and Adapter Pins 8346 should be

used to prevent pulley from rotating (Fig. 5).

Not trying to stir up the water just trying to let you guys know that the threads are all the same. They have to be because no matter which style of pump your magnum engine came with they are all reverse rotation pumps and if the threads were different some would sling off the fan/fanclutch assembly and others wouldn't due to the fact that the pumps all spin reverse from the crankshaft. They spin in reverse because of the Serpentine setup. If you don't believe me look at your pump pulley with your engine running I'll bet it spins counter clockwise!

Old 03-08-2010 | 01:07 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

About the tool and to go with what brokenroads is saying, although my pump has the holes for the tool, my dads 98 didn't and that is what made me think of the strap/rubber deal in the picture I posted.

Old 03-08-2010 | 01:16 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
About the tool and to go with what brokenroads is saying, although my pump has the holes for the tool, my dads 98 didn't and that is what made me think of the strap/rubber deal in the picture I posted.
I saw that pic that was definitely a matter of necessity being the mother of all invention at its finest I liked it. Very Ingenious! If I was seeing it correctly you took the hook end and hooked to the frame and then wrapped the strap over itself a few times right?

Old 03-08-2010 | 01:31 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Correct. And the rubber is there so that the strap can get some traction.
I was able to use a strap wrench on mine the first time and I used anti-seize when I put it back on. But my dads wasn't so easy, so I had to use that setup for his. The more pressure you put on the fan nut, the tighter the strap gets, so it is the perfect solution to a stubborn fan nut if your water pump pulley doesn't have the holes for the removal tool.

Old 03-08-2010 | 01:39 PM
brokenroads37502
Rookie

Haha nice! I asked a few mechanics around town here back when they were my customers and not the opposite direction lol and they just told me to leave the belt on and that would hold good enough. WRONG! that sucker just spun and spun till I cracked open the box on that spanner tool. She didn't say NO any more after that! Nice makeshift tool! If I'm ever in a pinch I'll remember that one!

Old 03-08-2010 | 01:40 PM
yakkier
Banned

what is this strap tool you're talking about

Quick Reply: 318 sprung a leak!