2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burning rubber

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:39 AM
jamesnb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning rubber

There was a thread or two recently that got off topic discussing who could spin 'em, light'em up, peel out, ect. It seemed a lot of people had trouble smokin' 'em.
Being older and more forgetful, I couldn't remember if I could burn rubber on try asphalt or not so I gave it a shot.
So on a dry straight road, pedal to the metal, I spun 'em all through 1st and partly through 2nd. That's on a 2001 4x4 Off Road 5.9L, towing package and heavy rear end, no ono-stock performance mods or over sized tires but freshly tuned up with 87 octane. Both rear wheels spun through 1st but I think just one spun in 2nd (limited slip differential).
Now if I can get my gas miliage back to 14.5, I'll be happy. I'll see if I can get a picture of the marks tomorrow.
I'd do a poll but I don;t think I have enough posts.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:04 AM
yakkier
Banned

I cant even bark mine, could be the fact i got 33's. Cant even powerbrake it

Old 03-27-2010, 01:08 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This post gave me some mktivation for the weekend. too bad my truck is at the dealership. I am so depressed now. I had a fun filled weekend of a six pack and working on my truck. Now I have to spend it with the wife.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:14 AM
yakkier
Banned

lmao welcome to my world i might be losing my garage pretty soon if bills dont settle down. Going to have to find some where cheaper to live "aka apartment" which makes me wanna puke because i will be so ****ing depressed and i work alot now and i spend my free time in the garage and if i aint got it im never going to be home and i already told my wife that too, kinda pissed her off cause shes always complaining that im never here anyways.

But im hopfully starting a 2nd job working at a saturn dealership.... "yea a i know it's a saturn" but they'er paying 15.50 an hour just to do oil changes and general repairs part time. So maybe things will work out and i got no ****ing idea where im going with this post it's 12am here and im kinda outta it lol

Old 03-27-2010, 01:28 AM
jamesnb
Professional

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
This post gave me some mktivation for the weekend. too bad my truck is at the dealership. I am so depressed now. I had a fun filled weekend of a six pack and working on my truck. Now I have to spend it with the wife.
I had just taken the wife out for a nice dinner and on the way home told her i needed to do a little research. She said , well, you really did spin them.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:33 AM
jamesnb
Professional

Didn't mean to bring the mood down. Yak...maybe you can get a storage unit that you can pull the truck into for some adjustments or buy a tiny commercial plot where you can work on the truck and sell it in five years when the market turns around.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:55 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey yak, I am a commander of an Army recruiting company. If things get real bad, you can join the Army, be a Mechanic and get the army to pay for your housing. you WILL have a garage and all the benefits. And with the new Commander in Chief (president) you will not really have to worry about being deployed.

However, mechanics are the real heroes overseas. We need those hummers operational. and all they do is swap engines and trannies on a daily basis to keep people running.

PM me if you want any more info. Even the army reserves. you get benefits and you can get away once a month with a $170 check for a weekend work. Maybe more if you are ase certified.

--Dan

Old 03-27-2010, 03:12 AM
lblair04
Veteran

Kinda weird...I dont see EVERY house on a base/post having garages...in fact I know they all dont have garages.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I had an old women cut me off the other day, and when i sped up, my tires roasted and i didnt mean too lol.....Mines easy to burn tires even with the 10 plys....i have 4.10 gears though with 265 tires

Old 03-27-2010, 06:22 AM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spin when tires when I'm not trying to sometimes. I've got some minor bolt on's, a superchips, and I'm rolling on 33's. An easy way to roast'em is to lightly hold the brakes, front brakes engage more then rear sooner, then hit the gas. After a few seconds just let the brakes go and launch. I wore down a set of tires one time pretty quick because a friend and I where trying to see how could make the longest, darkest marks. I won by a long shot but I really wore down the rear tires. Took my truck in the next day to have my tires rotated and the guy that did the work gave me a funny look because my front tires were pretty good looking while the back were ****ty.

oh yea...I did even them out a few days later

Quick Reply: Burning rubber