2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Idling and Surging Issue's..drink a beer and grasp for air before entering...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aha HeyYou its never fails, you are always the one to chime in bout the plenum. and u always say this "What do your plugs wires cap rotor look like?", like its a cure all for everything aha. just givin u **** dont be mad.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:03 AM
03neonSE
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Get some carb cleaner, start the engine, and shoot some cc at the assorted gasket areas. (vacuum lines wouldn't hurt either.) If at some spot, idle changes, hit it again to verify. There's a leak.

Favorite spots are intake gaskets, and injector o-rings, TB gasket (which I assume you have already replaced.....) and dried/cracked vacuum lines.

Pull the air cleaner off. Crack the throttle wide open (engine off......) and use a flashlight to have a gander down the throttle body. See any oil down there? Time to yank the intake, and redo the plenum gasket. (A known point of failure on these trucks)

What do your plugs wires cap rotor look like?
Didn't think of the injector o-rings but i'll do that today. I sprayed some carb cleaner around the intake gaskets and it didn't hesitate. Couldn't get to the front or back. But as I mentioned earlier, I hear an air leak coming from the front of the intake gasket. You can hear the hissing, its audible.

I already have check all the vac-lines and they are fine. I had to replace one vac line and that was it.

Cap, wires are new from Mopar and I am using NGK V-Power sparkplugs. They have been replaced back in Feb.

I am already on my 3rd IAC sensor (got them from the junkyard) and they all work fine.

I will check inside the intake. Last time I checked, it had a slight film of oil on the bottom.

Truck is bone stock with 157k and counting.....

Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan0714
aha HeyYou its never fails, you are always the one to chime in bout the plenum. and u always say this "What do your plugs wires cap rotor look like?", like its a cure all for everything aha. just givin u **** dont be mad.
Mainly because they are two of the most common causes of running problems. Gotta look at the basics before starting in on the rest of it. Besides, if it is something simple, I would rather look at that FIRST, then poke about everything else, only to discover the whole problem is old spark plugs.

Been there.... Done that..... Got the t-shirt.....

It's all good.

Quick Reply: Idling and Surging Issue's..drink a beer and grasp for air before entering...