2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram 1500 strange vibration/noise left frontend coming steering column please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM
firsttimedodgeguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Ram 1500 strange vibration/noise left frontend coming steering column please help

A couple of years ago, a lound metallic clicking could be heard at slow speeds from the front left end/wheel area. That has since stopped and been replaced by a rubbing/noisy/vibe that travels up the steering column and heard in the cab. It reminds me of moving a straw in and out of a to-go cup for a soda. Exactly like that. If i pull up very hard and hold the steering wheel it nearly stops it...yeah, I know something is loose, but what??? It's driving me crazy.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 PM
yakkier
Banned

Sounds like a bad wheelbearing man, mine went out not too long ago and almost made me wreck my truck.

here check this out, here is a thread of when i did mine. The first page has a video and a few pics but flip through all the pages because there are pic's scattered in there. Goodluck and i hope this helps.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-tomorrow.html

Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
firsttimedodgeguy

Thanks....i'll look at it tomorrow. I did fail to mention though that it is really noisy at slow speeds. If it's not the wheel bearing....do you have any ideas what else it could be?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 PM
yakkier
Banned

its louder at low speeds because the momentom of the tire isnt causing it to straighten up. the noise you're hearing is the negitive camber of the tire pushing on the back side of the hub and pushing the hub back togeather hints the noise.

When you're driving at speed it will get quieter cause the tire is being forced to stand straight up causing it to put less stress on the hub, you will still hear it, just not as loud as you would say going 10 - 25 mph. Also you could check your U joint to make sure it's still there and didnt snap out and cause your axle shaft to beat each other apart.

Also welcome to dodge forum and i hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited by yakkier; 03-29-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

possible axle u-joint if 4wd. (jack up truck, inspect from underneath, try to twist the u-joint. should be no movement)

possible wheel bearing on 2wd or 4wd. grab tire at the top and shake in/out as hard as you can. should be no movement.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The OP says when he pulls the steering wheel up hard, the noise almost goes away. How can this be related in any way to the wheel/hub bearings? I'd check the intermediate shaft and the steering column first.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 AM
yakkier
Banned

Because when mine first started going out it would stop doing it if i turned turned left, but if i turned right it would get worse.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with Zman. There is a recall on the intermediate shafts for the steering. The dealer makes a fix by tac welding a piece thats on it.

IIRC is something that will break and you will eventually not be able to steer it at all.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:30 PM
TKHW

I am so glad I found this thread. I have the EXACT same "straw moving" sound mentioned in the original post. I thought it might be bearings or tranny, but it stumped me that it would do it even when not rolling....

This morning I discovered that if I push the wheel up with my knee and put some force on the steering column, I can make it go away.

Does anyone have more info about the welding fix? I have a mig welder that I'd love to fix this noise up with. VERY ANNOYING noise.....

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:31 PM
TKHW

Nobody? TTT!

Quick Reply: 01 Ram 1500 strange vibration/noise left frontend coming steering column please help