2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need an exhaust......What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010 | 10:54 PM
Bdodge60
Amateur

Monday im having a buddy that runs a muffler shop build me a custom set up. Ive got shorty headers, gutted cat, then its gonna go out to a flowmaster 44 and 3 inch single tip at a 45 degree out the back. Im pretty excited expecially since ive been running a sh*tty muffler dumped under the cab for 2 years.lol. Anybody here have a simular flowmaster setup.

Old 04-01-2010 | 11:02 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

kinda, shorties with a high flow cat, to 3in to super 44 to duel 2.5s. Sounds beast.

Old 04-01-2010 | 11:27 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

WAIT!!! im not suggesting running duals without an x-pipe or h-pipe unless you get a muffler that has an x-pipe in it.

Magnaflow, flowmaster and I think dynamax all make a muffler that is dual-in, dual-out and has the x-pipe built into the muffler

Old 04-01-2010 | 11:41 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
WAIT!!! im not suggesting running duals without an x-pipe or h-pipe unless you get a muffler that has an x-pipe in it.

Magnaflow, flowmaster and I think dynamax all make a muffler that is dual-in, dual-out and has the x-pipe built into the muffler
You can do it though lol

Old 04-02-2010 | 09:14 AM
HDRAMman
|
Professional

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't word my first post right. I'm actually looking for the best muffler canister. All along I have planned on making the setup myself (pipes). What I'm really looking for is the best muffler (do I have option on the cat? and if I run true duel setup, I need two cats then too?)

Thanks again dudes.

Old 04-02-2010 | 09:28 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HDRAMman
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't word my first post right. I'm actually looking for the best muffler canister. All along I have planned on making the setup myself (pipes). What I'm really looking for is the best muffler (do I have option on the cat? and if I run true duel setup, I need two cats then too?)

Thanks again dudes.
If your running a "true dual setup" then yes you need two cats, "true duals" do not connect to the other pipe at all, no X or H pipe and no Y-pipe. IF you want one cat, you can run a Y-pipe back from the headers to one high flow cat and then run duels out the rear, or you can get one cat with Duel In and Duel Out..two pipes but still one cat. You can get a single in single out also, or a single in duel out. W/e u want.

As for your options of cat...you have a few..but everyone basically uses magnaflow high flow cat. Theyre good as far as performance and theyre reliable along with their 5 year/50k warranty.

As for your muffler, Flowmaster super 44, flowmaster 40 series, glass pack, gibson, and magna flow are the ones i would recommend. IMHO the super 44 is the loudest out of them all with magnaflow being the quietest. Ive ran gibson as ive stated and ive switched to a Super 44, nice deep loud rumble from it.

Old 04-02-2010 | 09:38 AM
dodgeram07
Champion

we dont need cats in ohio so i wouldnt spend the money on it

just run 2,,2.25 pipe with two nice muffler.... i would be look for sum thing tubro sytle baiscy no a strangle throw muffler unless you want it loud

Old 04-05-2010 | 05:04 PM
HDRAMman
|
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
we dont need cats in ohio so i wouldnt spend the money on in
HUH???? I have to E test my truck so Yeah, I need a cat. Dunno what county ur in but wher eIm at I need it. SO I ened up going with y pipe, 3"in, high flow cat to 3"in super 44, duel 2.5" out. All custom piping. Should have it done this weekend.

One thing though. I noticed that what I have on there now, there is a OS in front and behind the cat? I only got one bung and I'm gunna put the OS just behind the cat? Do I need to run both sensors still? What will happen if I don't reconnect the front sensor?

Old 04-05-2010 | 05:10 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

montgomery county

you need both,, if you dont use the front one it will run rich you you will have bad mpgs

Old 04-05-2010 | 05:24 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

You need to put the front one in its very important for the engine to run right, the post O2 is the second one and only checks that the cat is working if I was running a cat I would put it in, but you can buy a sim or be like me and just ziptie it under the truck.