2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need an exhaust......What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010 | 03:20 PM
HDRAMman
|
Professional
Default Need an exhaust......What to buy?

Yupp, it never ends as I'm sure all you 2nd gen guys already know. SO, I need new rotors and calipers in the rear, have been putting that off, I can still stop and can live with the turning thump, for now. But I noticed the other day that my exhaust seemd to sould a bit weird. Crawl under it last night and see that the pipe to the muffer is a rusted mess and clean broke. The whole thing looks a bit rough. SO new exhaust time.

Im looking for the best reasonably prices DUEL system (I live in ohio so I need that cat to stay.) Good deep low sound and slight HP increases are a must. Any suggestions. Right now I'm looking at a Dynomax super turbo system or the cherry bomb vortex. (they are in my price range, $400 or so) Does Flowmaster make a duel system?

Old 04-01-2010 | 03:32 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

i would just do highflow cat and one of those muffers , the highflow cat makes a big diffrence in sound prob what your looking for

Old 04-01-2010 | 04:27 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Go to a local shop and see how much they charge to build you one, most shops can do a better job and get you in and out in a couple hours for cheaper or about the same price of one off the internet

Old 04-01-2010 | 05:35 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

just get the hardware(clamps) and cut it off and dump it ., new muff $$xx clamps $$xxxx dumped,= **** off the nighbors and sound great

Old 04-01-2010 | 05:49 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

Ya I went cat less about 2 weeks ago and stock muffler..... Are you wanting to do truel duals? That would be 2.25in pipe

Most exhust shop will not make ehuset with out a cat.... But if you can find one that is not a chain shop thru will be more likely to do it there's one is jamEstown Ohio that does

Old 04-01-2010 | 06:48 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Biggest you can do with duels is 2.25, single is 3. Anything more than that and youll start to lose low end.

Gibson ( i haz one, duel side sweep exhaust) makes a good exhaust system, pretty loud with a high flow cat and not much drone. ( i loved the sound but wasnt as loud as i wanted)

Flowmaster ( have a super 44 muffler on now) makes good systems as well, very loud with a high flow can on, and theres a good amount of drone. But drone can be taken care of with positioning of the muffler. (super 44 muffler is very loud and has an amazing rumble to it, my setup now is the super 44 muffler with the rest of the gibson exhaust)

Going to a shop and having them build a custom exhaust for ya is another great idea, Might get away with a cheaper ( money-wise) exhaust as the systems you get online are expensive.

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:14 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

I would say you would be okay with 2.5" true duals, why because thats what I have and I lost no lowend power, I have no cat and run a dual-in-dual out magnaflow that X's inside so that you dont need a x-pipe or h-pipe.

Granted you will save money getting only 2.25" pipes

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:16 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
I would say you would be okay with 2.5" true duals, why because thats what I have and I lost no lowend power, I have no cat and run a dual-in-dual out magnaflow that X's inside so that you dont need a x-pipe or h-pipe.

Granted you will save money getting only 2.25" pipes
Are you running headers or stock manifolds?

But for the OP, thats just a general rule of thumb. Im also running duel 2.5 and Im fine with my low end too.

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:48 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Im running stock manifolds right now, couldnt afford headers at the time used the money I got from selling my topper to pay for the exhaust

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:56 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Im running stock manifolds right now, couldnt afford headers at the time used the money I got from selling my topper to pay for the exhaust
Ahh, Ic, I asked because i was thinking the stock manifolds might be a reason you havent lost low end. Little more restriction so exhaust velocity would stay almost at the same rate, but the moment the exhaust reaches the rest of the system it would slow down anyway. So, that kinda got ruled out.

Though i havent lost low end either, there have been reports that people have, not much mind you but there, IIRC Steve was one of them?? Anywho,

OP if you can get headers, and a high flow cat (or two if your gonna run duels) those will make a big difference, in sound and performance (along with other mods you might do). If your going to do duels though, I would recommend putting in an X-pipe or an H-pipe, helps with scavaging the exhaust. You dont need to though, as red said you can run true duels and be fine w/o an x or h pipe.