2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PurplDodge has an announcement to make

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to bring up an old thread but purpl i'm not understanding your last post. You can't post up the diy or you won't unless we pay?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

prrrrretty sure he just never bothered to do it

Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He got to lazy to do it.....dont hold your breathe on it, just search for the other ones

Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 AM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

I was thinking if I have the old steel plenum couldn't I just bolt that to 1/4 inch aluminum plate and just cut around it with a sawsal then smooth theedges that way it I basically the stock pan just aluminum? Or is like truly honestly cheaper to get the hughes kit because all it is is a 1/4 piece of aluminum

Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 AM
ferguson30
Rookie

Originally Posted by jpsycoboy5
I was thinking if I have the old steel plenum couldn't I just bolt that to 1/4 inch aluminum plate and just cut around it with a sawsal then smooth theedges that way it I basically the stock pan just aluminum? Or is like truly honestly cheaper to get the hughes kit because all it is is a 1/4 piece of aluminum
Nothing to stop you from doing that, however, I wouldn't recommend a sawzall, only because of the risk of warping the plate if it catches and bends it. You want that plate spot on as much as possible to help make a good seal. A bandsaw would be preferable. I just bought the hughes plate when I did mine, just because I don't have access to good metalworking tools.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its cheaper to make your own plate if you have the time and energy and can find a piece of aluminum.

you can use trace the shape out using a gasket, or the old plate. yes you can bolt the old plate to the aluminum if you wish. you can cut it with a band saw, jig saw, or saws all. the aluminum is soft, and any saw will eat though it like butter.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you go too fast with a jig saw or a sawzall then the blade will cake up with aluminum due to the heat and it'll be like you're trying to cut with the back of the blade. If you don't have enough pressure on either of those saws then the blade can catch and they will slap the plate like crazy until you let go of the trigger.

A band saw is really the best thing for cutting aluminum plate.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
If you go too fast with a jig saw or a sawzall then the blade will cake up with aluminum due to the heat and it'll be like you're trying to cut with the back of the blade. If you don't have enough pressure on either of those saws then the blade can catch and they will slap the plate like crazy until you let go of the trigger.

A band saw is really the best thing for cutting aluminum plate.

Or, the trusty old standby:

Old 01-05-2011, 03:44 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpsycoboy5
I used the old steel plate as a template as it was larger than the gasket I was using. Plus I didnt want to screw up the gasket if I dropped it or something. It took me 30 friggin minutes to make this plate with a jigsaw and drill press. Is a flat piece of aluminum worth $86 to you?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Or, the trusty old standby:

Not a word of a lie, years ago me and some buddies hacked the whole trunk section off an old camry I used to have using ONLY an axe! Right from the bottom of the rear window down through the unibody frame and all... Don't ask why we did it, just bored and messin around I guess lol

yes, I could get pics for proof, it's still sittin in an old barn out behind my house

Quick Reply: PurplDodge has an announcement to make