2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It Started!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:31 PM
lane
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It Started!

But it ran extremely poorly. This was my uncles truck, that when he had it it ran poorly (fouled plugs and such) for a while then it wouldn't start (hasn't ran in about 2 years). He had it to a garage where they did a tune up but it didn't help. So it just sat in his driveway for about a year till he gave it to me. so today i went out and randomly tried to start it and with a little throttle it ran! But it wouldn't rev up at all and there was a loud sucking/hissing noise. Now once again it wont start but it does catch with the gas to the floor. I'm thinking cat is clogged (probably because of plenum), any other opinions?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd start with a compression check and get a baseline. Then move on to those other things like plenum, cat etc.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:39 PM
lane
Veteran

truck only has 140000 km's on it so compression should still be good. If i had a tester i would check. thanks for the reply.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
97r/tram
Veteran

I remember doing a compression test in mine, if you can get the tool, it's not so involved to do.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:46 PM
lane
Veteran

yeah i've done it on a snowmobile before, i just dont own a tester myself.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lane
truck only has 140000 km's on it so compression should still be good. If i had a tester i would check. thanks for the reply.
If you suspect bad plenum then don't assume compression is good. As I understand it a bad plenum left neglected can eventually lead to bad heads, ring seals etc. which means a vehicle recieved in unknown condition w/ bad plenum could be shot r just need a lttle elbow grease. Best to check and find out for sure before btohering to invest any time/ money.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
lane
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ugly1
If you suspect bad plenum then don't assume compression is good. As I understand it a bad plenum left neglected can eventually lead to bad heads, ring seals etc. which means a vehicle recieved in unknown condition w/ bad plenum could be shot r just need a lttle elbow grease. Best to check and find out for sure before btohering to invest any time/ money.
ah i wasn't aware, but i don't think he used it much. Besides i see guys on here all the time saying there plenum is blown but they are waiting for the funds, that's why i thought otherwise. . Thanks for the replys guys.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

I would check the Cat first. If cat is plugged it might affect a compression test.

Dave

Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xjarhead69
I would check the Cat first.
Check it? How?

If cat is plugged it might affect a compression test.
If he got it running, and he said he did, then things aren't too clogged up for a compression test.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best way to check the cat is to somehow find a line of sight into the honeycomb contents (cutting wheels, torches, BFH ) and beat on that **** as hard as possible. I have found a jack handle to work well in the past.... If it all falls out in little pieces, your cat isn't clogged.

Quick Reply: It Started!