2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Trans Cooler Line- WRONG FITTING!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010 | 08:32 PM
mnewbolds
|
Veteran
Exclamation New Trans Cooler Line- WRONG FITTING!?!?!

I need some help. I bought a new trans cooler line (bottom of rad to trans) and the fitting at the trans is different. I need this fixed asap. Any one know if they changed these trannys or did 6 different parts stores give me the wrong part number? The black line is the new one and the other is the old one. Is there an adapter that i need to make this work. Like I said I need this done YESTERDAY! Thanks

Old 04-11-2010 | 08:58 PM
ghost4321
Professional

Looks like the wrong line. Go back to the store (or call) and explain the problem. Bring the old line if you go back.

Old 04-11-2010 | 09:18 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Looks like everywhere I checked online sells same new line that you have.
Take old line with you and get a fitting, one end that the new line will thread into, and the other end will thread into tranny.
Good luck.

Dave

Old 04-11-2010 | 09:42 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker

The black line looks like the cooler feed line that comes off of the transmission.

Old 04-12-2010 | 08:03 AM
mnewbolds
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by MonteC
The black line looks like the cooler feed line that comes off of the transmission.
That's what it is. I had some confusion when installing that temp gauge. Under the motor the lines crossed and I got them confused. The line that I am replacing goes from the bottom of the rad to the from of the trans just above the front left corner of the pan. Xjar is right, this is the only line they show for this application, the only one at the junkyard has already been stripped of the trans so no help there. I found an adapter from Dorman, but cannot find any one that stocks it. But now that I look at it, I think what I need is3/8-reverse flare to 1/4"npt male????? Need it done by the end of the day too.
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...5483&3671=1003

Old 04-12-2010 | 08:36 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Do what you gotta do.

Old 04-12-2010 | 02:13 PM
mnewbolds
|
Veteran

GOTERDONE! Had to ride my bicycle 10 miles to get to the dealership, they are the only ones I could find that have that fitting. I'll post the pn when I get the reciept. For anyone changing this line this is a MUST! It was only 6 bucks

Old 04-12-2010 | 09:40 PM
mnewbolds
|
Veteran

The part number for the adapter fitting required if you are installing a new trans line is DODGE PN- 6033879= $5.70. Threads directly into the trans and is a 5/16 double inverted flare to the line. A little Loctite 585 and vwallla!

Old 04-13-2010 | 12:41 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Nice problem solving. I bookmarked this page for when i am going to do that line mod. I installed a Derale tranny pan (deep pan with cooling tubes). It has a bung for trans oil temp. So i want to have a gauge for the pan temp and the cooler line temp.

I will post pics of the derale installed tomorrow. I had no time tonight. I had to go buy ATF THREE TIMES. Haynes said 4-6 quarts for a drain and fill. But when i messed up the old pan and needed the new one, the tranny let loose about another 2-4 quarts of oil. I had the old pan in there so no air and dust would get in. and there was a lot of oil in the pan that dripped down over a 5 day period.

NICE WORK and thanks for posting the PNs.

Old 04-13-2010 | 07:58 AM
mnewbolds
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Nice problem solving. I bookmarked this page for when i am going to do that line mod. I installed a Derale tranny pan (deep pan with cooling tubes). It has a bung for trans oil temp. So i want to have a gauge for the pan temp and the cooler line temp.

I will post pics of the derale installed tomorrow. I had no time tonight. I had to go buy ATF THREE TIMES. Haynes said 4-6 quarts for a drain and fill. But when i messed up the old pan and needed the new one, the tranny let loose about another 2-4 quarts of oil. I had the old pan in there so no air and dust would get in. and there was a lot of oil in the pan that dripped down over a 5 day period.

NICE WORK and thanks for posting the PNs.
No Problem my fellow Dodge owner.
I was racking my brains and couldn't find much info out there for this so I figured I would contribute to the free online DIY's It really helps when you've seen someone else take on the job. The bung on the trans cooler line is made for a different type of gauge than what I have. The part number ATM 2271= $13.99. It's an autometer fitting that will adapt the mechanical gauge that I used to the bung on the line. As for more info, maybe there will be something here you can use.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...echanical.html

Quick Reply: New Trans Cooler Line- WRONG FITTING!?!?!