2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

plug wire TSB necessity

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
UltraMag50
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plug wire TSB necessity

Ive printed out a copy of jasonw's post of the TSB, but my question is do you really need to route them that way? is it just a TSB for mopar wires or something that should be followed regardless of plug wire brand? thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pretty sure it regardless of the wire brand.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It has nothing to do with what brand plug wires you use.

If you really read the TSB, you would know that you route them this way when your truck is missing.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

I dunno about that, but plug wires touch/cross regardless at the distributor cap , i got em zip tied here and there touching here and there with my 8.2 thunder volt taylors, and nothing different whatsoever, because they dont fit in the stock holders. If you look at race cars or whatnot ****'s crossed touching left and right , i dont buy it, cuz i never had a prob touching since day 1.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
UltraMag50
Professional

hmm. well my truck isnt missing. i did read that in there. but i figure doing it now may prevent problems on down the road. but like hazzard said, whoever put the last set of wires in werent concerned about damn TSBs. it kinda looked like a spider web in my engine compartment lol. Thanks for the info guys

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazzard
I dunno about that, but plug wires touch/cross regardless at the distributor cap , i got em zip tied here and there touching here and there with my 8.2 thunder volt taylors, and nothing different whatsoever, because they dont fit in the stock holders. If you look at race cars or whatnot ****'s crossed touching left and right , i dont buy it, cuz i never had a prob touching since day 1.
Exactly. These trucks were not routed like this from the factory. They were only routed this way if you got a misfire.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck never had them routed that way, and it was always fine. Last time I put new wires on, I followed that routing instruction though. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have symptoms that match those described in the TSB.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:19 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i haven't had a misfire and didn't do all that BS.
i don't think "good" wires cross fire. that tsb was probably a long ago, cheap workaround for a batch of crappy or damaged factory wires.
my original wires did have plastic wire looms, and i reinstalled them on my new wires. i don't know that it does any good, but it doesn't do any harm.

there should be a tsb to remove those stupid heat shield tubes. all they do is make it harder to change the plugs and easier to cross thread them.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:21 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

About the heat shield tubes, I was going to remove them for the obvious reasons, but, when i removed 1 of them and left it off and went for a quick trip to the parts store i could smell something getting hot. When i got back to the drivway and got out of my truck i could smell something hot as i walked by the hood, so i popped the hood and leaned in the engine and could tell by where the smell was coming from ,the spark plug boot without the heatshield was the hot culprit and even when i touched it it was pretty hot without the heat shield, so I put the shield back on and no more hot smell from the boot, I dunno, some people will say the heat shield will do more harm than good, so from my experience from just the one time, i'll leave em on and clean them out everytime i have to change plugs, I have stock manifolds also.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The TSB covers mis-firing and surge in overdrive that isn't the TPS.
You shouldn't have to worry about any issues if you have good wires. If a header melts the insulation on one of them like mine did and you don't catch it then the TSB will help.
8mm wires don't have the cross firing problem because they are so thick. You can zip tie the 8mm wires together all the way to the cap and they'll be fine.

Quick Reply: plug wire TSB necessity