2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

14x3 air cleaner ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ummm lighten up dude, no one was being an ***.....? we all tried to help you and answer your questions, what more do you want???

you're makin yourself look like an *** by coming here asking questions, and then rippin on us when we give you the answer

Old 04-25-2010, 12:20 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with the 14x3 b/c it was cheap, my airbox had a nasty crack in it and changing the filter in the factory unit was a real pain in the ***....oh and b/c i'm old school and like the look of it

Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 AM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

true. +1 on the old school. plus if you plan on modding your motor might as well go the way of the 14x3. might not help much now but when you get to modding your computer will have already learned. plus its cheap and looks good, not to mention that mean sound it makes.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

hell yea on the mean sound...that with no cat and a glasspack...the sound harkens back to the days when Detroit muscle, in the form of 426 Hemis and 440 sixpacs roared down the highways

Old 04-25-2010, 12:38 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

alright, I suppose an apology is due. I'm sorry for being rude, but I am an a$$ :P I can admit it, and my wife can vouch for it.

It was just the, "took like 2 seconds to search it out" comment, that kinda set me off. And that i've seen numerous times throughout this forum, people goin off on newbies for not searching. That is what i consider rude.

I also am for the old school look that Ram_Me is sporting there. Looks Good, but is there a major difference in low end torque, because I have already lost a ton of power it seems just going from highway tires to offroad tires.

Last time I went mudding I could barely make it thru in 2nd gear, had to put it in first and romp on it. Just seems like it already doesn't have the torque to keep the wheels spinning. The truck is still mostly stock, except a cheap ebay CAI, and flowmaster super 44, and leaking plenum ofc. Is a 5.9 swap needed to get any power from this truck??

Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 AM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my round air on for a few days now and I love it. Threw in a SCT tune a few days later and I'm hallin ***** all over the place. One thing I love about coming back to the states and moving to vegas is that a lot of people know where their pedal is. I've raced so many people here it's fun. We only go up to the speed limit though most of the time, really don't want to get pulled over so I don't break rubber (when I can help it) and I don't go more then 5 over. Just today alone I raced a 04-ish chevy, another sec gen with 5.9, a couple cars, and two stangs. Of those I only lost to 1 of the stangs but as he pulled ahead I found out why, it was either a Roush 427R or 429R. He was quick.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 AM
yakkier
Banned
Old 04-25-2010, 12:53 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

i like that air cleaner yakkier Looks pretty cool.

I have another stupid question that I could have probably searched for, but since I have this thread going, I may as well ask here. Don't forget I am pretty new to working on motors in general, so plz have mercy on me.

The tube that goes from the left valve cover to the port on my CAI... ( I think is oil return or something), and on yakkiers engine (right side), looks to be replaced with a breather. The 14x3 I bought does not have that port on it, so how does that breather connect?? Do I have to replace the whole plug that goes into the valve cover, or do I just stick a breather on the end of the tube and zip-tie it somewhere??

Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks dude, ya maybe that comment was a bit unnecessary, but for the most part we all try to help each other out regardless of join date.... Personally, I would rather take the time to find and post a link if it is helpful to the question than to rag on the new guys about the search feature.... I belong to a lot of forums, and trust me, this one is probably the most easygoing one of them all.

that aside, I doubt it would be worth swapping in a 5.9 as they don't make much more power than the 5.2's.... Your best bet to get more power to the ground would be regearing to compensate for the bigger tires, but that can get pricey.... Fixing that plenum leak should be at or near the top of your list, everyone says that the difference is like night and day after fixing it...

Old 04-25-2010, 12:57 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

actually what is the valve cover breather SIZE? 1 INCH ? 1-1/4?????????????

Quick Reply: 14x3 air cleaner ?