2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

14x3 air cleaner ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:08 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My PCV isnt free flowing it doesnt goto my aircleaner it goes from the valve cover into the kegger " intake " the one on my right side " Crank case breather " is the one that's free flowing.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how was that s bolt?

Old 04-25-2010, 06:17 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

The S bolt was a piece of cake. The Mr. Gasket air cleaner kit included a straight 8 inch piece of threaded bolt. I simply put some vice grips on it and bent it the way I saw in one of the threads to make the 3/4 inch offset. Was easy, and bolted up nice n quick.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Another question. When I take my air cleaner off, and hit the throttle, there is a whistling noise. When I had my CAI on, I couldn't hear the whistling noise, outside or inside of the cab. Now with the 14x3 on it, the whistling is loud. Sounds damm near like a turbo. Ofc, I can't hear the whistling until I step about 1/2 throttle. Is this just from the butterflies/ throttle body, or maybe from the air cleaner?? Anyone else experience this?

I mean, it doesn't bother me too much, but I just want to make sure it's all good. I've checked the underside of the 14x3, and it is tight against the throttle body gasket, all the way around. Maybe it's just the sound of the air circling inside of the air cleaner.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine sounds kinda like that too, I just assume it's the leaking plenum sucking air... (blame it all on that damned gasket eh? ) Watch a couple of my youtube vids, you'll hear it

Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

lol. i would like to blame it on the leaking plenum, but I didn't hear the noise with my CAI on. Wonder if it's just the paper element that Mr. Gasket included. I think when I can afford it, I'll toss a round 3 inch tall K&N filter in there, and see what happens

Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Oh yes. Speaking of the leaking plenum....I just got paid for delivering phone books around ma neighborhood, and have ordered the plenum kit from Hughes. Suppose it's time to read all the DIY's over and over again for a week or so.

Wasn't really too bad on my friends 5.9...Only things we ran into on his, was 3 of his manifold bolts were broken off at the top, and we incorrectly removed the coolant intake temp sensor thingy, so had to run to parts store :O

My truck hasn't been ran too entirely hard, so I'm hoping I dont run into too many problems along the way.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bekins01ram
Another question. When I take my air cleaner off, and hit the throttle, there is a whistling noise. When I had my CAI on, I couldn't hear the whistling noise, outside or inside of the cab. Now with the 14x3 on it, the whistling is loud. Sounds damm near like a turbo. Ofc, I can't hear the whistling until I step about 1/2 throttle. Is this just from the butterflies/ throttle body, or maybe from the air cleaner?? Anyone else experience this?

I mean, it doesn't bother me too much, but I just want to make sure it's all good. I've checked the underside of the 14x3, and it is tight against the throttle body gasket, all the way around. Maybe it's just the sound of the air circling inside of the air cleaner.
I think it's normal because mine whistles pretty loud too but only when the engine is cold. Once it warms up to about 150~170-ish, it goes away and I don't hear it anymore no matter what I do.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 PM
yakkier
Banned

Mine roars when on the throttle then when i let up it whistles but i have a totally different air cleaner, mine is pretty much just like not having anything at all because there is almost no air restriction.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM
hemiprostock

Put a 14 x 3 Spectre Air Filter on my 2500, found Spectre Part Number 4218 is an offset stud for Dodge Ram. WORKS great, has adjustment built in. Link below is from Summit Racing, got mine from Autozone for $4.99.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-4218/

Quick Reply: 14x3 air cleaner ?