2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what radio/speakers should I get for my 99-01 1500 ram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:39 PM
scs9591
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks for the Added Note!

~1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L~

I bought a new Kenwood KDC-135 awhile back. I didn't feel like installing it myself (much to my regret), so I hired an acquaintance.

They ended up not connecting the power amp wires. This gave me good audio out of my left front tweeter only. I used your advice from the added note. I was very glad to hear the system working properly.
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by KYHI
Just went through a speaker replacement on my 98 ram - I had to replace a non working infinity speaker with a set of kenwood 6x9's..

The infinity speakers come with a speaker mounted AMP and crossover - the twitters are mounted in the A Pillers..

Here are the issues I ran into -

If you purchase 4 or 5 way speakers the center of the speaker extents above the upper ring of the bass speaker - so the door panel sits against the speakers center..

If you where to cut out the door panel for the new speaker grill - the original Round opening in the door panel is off center from the actual speaker itself..

Speaker depth is also an issue - so you may need spacers - depending on your new speakers... (Which may cause door panel to sit against the speaker)

The speaker mounted AMPs and Crossover can be unscrewed from the speakers and zipped tied out of the way and just connect up the new speaker to the speaker leads (If the AMP's still work and you are not running your own AMP to the speakers, that is)

There is a non removable wiring harness attached to the speaker - there is a connector for the speaker attached to the inside of the door - just follow the speaker harness up with your hand and you will find it...

The colors on the speaker wiring harness to the speakers - do not match the truck wiring harness colors - so pull the connector to see the color change over..

Like I said my AMPs where no good so I disconnected the speaker harness from the truck harness and just ran the speaker wires down to the new speakers..

My speaker harness had 6 wires in it - amp 12v +, amp 12v -, tweeter output +, tweeter output -, speaker input +, speaker input - (Note: there are also red & Black speaker output wires coming off the AMP for the speaker itself, but they where not in the actual speaker harness)

I reused the speaker harness connector itself and the two speaker input wires from the speaker harness (Brown = speaker input -) and (Blue = speaker input +) to make the actual connection to the new speakers

Get a dash installation Kit ($12) and a harness adapter kit ($9) from WalMart and I purchased new door panel clips (Autozone $5 for a box of 15 - you need 13 per door panel) they where the Black FORD style and a perfect match to the originals

Added Note: If reusing the existing AMPs and Tweeter Crossover - you will need to power the "Radio Choke Relay" using the power antenna wire from the new radio - The power choke relay is activated by the Light Green wire in the truck radio harness behind the radio

Truck Right Front Speaker Connector
Black/Red = Amp 12v +
Black/Violet = Amp 12v -
Light Blue/Black = Right Tweeter -
Light Blue/Red = Right Tweeter +
Violet = Speaker + (Blue in Speaker harness)
Dark Blue/Red = Speaker - (Brown in speaker harness)

Truck Left Front Speaker Connector
Black/Red = Amp 12v +
Black/Violet = Amp 12v -
Yellow/Black = Left Tweeter -
Yellow/Red = Left Tweeter +
Dark Green = Speaker + (Blue in Speaker harness)
Brown/Red = Speaker - (Brown in speaker harness)

Quick Reply: what radio/speakers should I get for my 99-01 1500 ram?