2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 - I'm giving her all she's got Captain!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
KYHI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the honeycomb broke loose and clogged the exhaust - it usually will not rev up to the rev limiter and you will hear a massive sucking sound, like a 4 barrel carb under a heavy load, but you will feel very little exhaust pressure coming outta the tailpipe..

The clogged cat issue is very very common on these trucks... And the symptoms and the cause (sharp bump) are very likely for a clogged cat..

Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
SpcD1500
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I figure the reason is that when you are going fast enough then the springs compress and don't have enough time to flex back to their original shape and push the truck up before the wheels are back in their original position.

And I've heard about those heavy military vehicles being fun, a friend of mine got an lmtv airborne (completely off the ground) one time.
Yeah it has something to do with the rebound rate of the spings and shocks.

And a LMTV airborne?? He probably had a sore body for the next couple days, those things ride rough.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM
yakkier
Banned

Also i got to thinking, depending on if you're running stock manifolds, the bolts that connect the Y pipe to the manifolds on the drivers side and passengerside tend to either rust appart or the retaining clips pop out of the bolts and it will cause the Y pipe to drop down enough to break the seal between the Y pipe and manifold. Mine did this once and it took for freaking ever to figure out what the hissing sound was and it kept getting louder and louder with every hard bump i hit.

I pulled it up on the ramps and realized that the Y pipe had been shook loose from the manifold, i went to home depot and bought some stainless bolts and just replaced them and to this day i havent had an issue with it.

Originally Posted by Bulletz
This last weekend at my local grocery store parking lot and I went over some speed bump a little fast in my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with manual transmission. Once I got back on the main road I noticed in all gears I've lost all my go power. Once I get to about 3rd gear and 30 mph, I can push the petal to the floor without any acceleration. The motor revs up but no go. I've also noticed a louder than normal air sound when I push the gas pedal down.

Any suggestions where I should look first?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Bulletz
Default Update

Thanks for all the replies! Answers to some of the questions so far:

@Yakkier, KYHI and Daily Driver - I tried pulling off the precat o2 but no change. If the honeycomb did break loose, I'm guessing a muffler shop is in my future?
@Foxracing584 & Sheriff420 - I did a basic inspection and I don't see anything loose or hanging. I'll look again in the morning.
@Gevalco207 - It appears to exhibit the same behavior when I run and rev the motor when not in gear.

Also, I took it out around the block again tonight and when I got back to test it running while not in gear, I had the engine light come on. I pulled the code and got P0301. I looked it up and found the following:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0301

I'll check the plug and wire tomorrow. Seems to jive with what I'm seeing.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:20 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the look of your truck! is it 4wd or 2?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Pronk
Professional

^ I agree, that's a nice looking truck

Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check if the spark plug wire on #1 fell off or got burned up.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 PM
yakkier
Banned

I'd gut the freaking thing or take it off completely, weld in a slot/nut for the O2 to screw into and be done with it.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:15 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P0301 so did sum thing happen to you number spark pug wire?

man 6 Banger so a lifted 2wd? get sum pics up

Old 04-30-2010, 06:19 PM
JohnnyZJ
Professional

i was bored and googled P301....... this came up......

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337312

maybe some ideas for ya?

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 - I'm giving her all she's got Captain!