2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Autozone Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:34 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

yep...

Old 04-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sadly, Autozone is probably buying these motors from a shady company like Jasper for what they are selling....

VW, I didn't have the line of thought that I do until I started working with an LX car owner trying to get his SRT8 Chally set up the way he wants. This guy has no experience, no tools, and no shop where he can do what he wants to do. It's sad really considering the fact that this guy was about to give a shop $38,000 to build this car up and they would only have about $18,500 in parts alone.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Sadly, Autozone is probably buying these motors from a shady company like Jasper for what they are selling....

VW, I didn't have the line of thought that I do until I started working with an LX car owner trying to get his SRT8 Chally set up the way he wants. This guy has no experience, no tools, and no shop where he can do what he wants to do. It's sad really considering the fact that this guy was about to give a shop $38,000 to build this car up and they would only have about $18,500 in parts alone.

I hear ya, Laramie. Sometimes in the VW Forums, someone comes in and starts the "these mechanics are raping me" spiel, so we tell them, "Do it yourself and everyone here will guide you". I can't tell you the number of women, with classic Beetles, who have been tutored through a complete engine rebuild, much to the chagrin of their boyfriends

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no one really has an experience like the OP wanted with thier engines, no?? So it's all based on what?????? brand preference? if you have good luck than so be it, regardless of where it came from, Just like starting all over again with original motor in as way?!?!?!?!?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Like Laramie said, they are probably price point motors sourced out from some shady manufacturer....Like everything else that AutoZone sells.
I hate AutoZone. They sell nothing that interests me. Advance will price match anything, NAPA sells good parts, and Rock Auto.com kicks ***.

Originally Posted by Mopar_360
are the engines from autozone any good are they reliable and do they make good power
Why do you need a re-built motor?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:04 PM
yakkier
Banned

nothing wrong with an autozone engine, my father has one in his ram and he's put over 250k miles on it with normal tune ups and it's still running fine to this day.

As was suggested earlier it's a rebuilt engine, it's a 50/50 chance of it lasting forever and honestly you have about the same chance with that as you would having some one rebuild your engine.

A rebuilt OEM engine is a rebuilt OEM engine theres nothing special about it just ment to be a plug and play replacement.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 PM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reman's are not a bad deal especially if you've never built one from the oil pan up, you have main caps and rods that have bearings that have to be within a certain tolerance and if there not your asking for trouble, i've built one and i was really nervous about it. i got 30k miles out of it before a hurricane took care of the rest, a short block which is basically the block, crank, rods and pistons already installed, then you can do what you want from there, now granted i do not recommend you throw a blower and nitrous on it as the lower end will not hold, you are certain for a thrown rod but you can get some healthy power and torque. my suggestion would be this....is that your only vehicle... i.e do you have something else to drive in the mean time, if yes then rebuild the one you have if you don't look around for a short block, they are all pretty much the same.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Raptor2001

I was foolish and didn't know about the Plenum gasket problem about 2 years ago. My truck started running a little crappy and I kept putting off getting it looked at. Long story short The plenum Gasket was shot caused several cylinders to run lean and cracked the heads. On top of that I had to leave Kansas and head to Kentucky in a week for work. The truck had 140K on it. Getting a set of junkyard heads and having them magnafluxed and rebuilt was going to be pushing it too close to leave time. I had a friend Mechanic order in a jasper motor. It showed up in 3 days or so. Had very good luck with this motor. I Just started having the same problem I had with the previous motor. Only difference this time.... I stopped driving it and ordered a Hughes plate.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
ive heard nothing but bad from jasper...and have had personal experiance with jasper...they are no good IMO

So does your opinion based on any actual first hand experience? I mean hearing badmouthing from a competitors employee sounds a bit fishy if not a bit unproffessional. Of course if you'd actually owned one before then it might be worth hearing what you have to say about it...

All I know is Jasper gave me a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty and my mechanic (the guy who will be doing any warranty repairs) recomended them. For an engine that you are saying is no good mine apparently runs perfectly. Rings seem to have seated right in, compression is right where it should be, no smoke at all. No problems at all so far.

Last edited by Ugly1; 04-29-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:47 AM
99DRAM31887
Veteran

i agree its luck of the draw i used to work at autozone to and i sold a big block 454 to a farmer he had it maybe a month or two and it started to knock so we had to order him another one and give it to him once he brought the 1st one back

Quick Reply: Autozone Engines