2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Autozone Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my area they have a bad rap just for the fact that they are hit or miss. People that buy these are usually in two different predicaments: 1. They have no clue what they are doing and therefore need a rebuilt motor. 2. They are in an emergency situation and need their vehicle up and running quickly.

I have personally seen one local shop that used to do this.... They solicited AT&T's business for their high mileage trucks. The head manager of the main AT&T shop here in town came out to look at the mechanic's shop. When they got there, the shop had a "demonstration" motor setup to show the rep from AT&T just what they were capable of. When they went to crank the motor, the starter wouldn't turn it over. Would just hit and hum real loud. They couldn't even get the motor to turn by hand using a cheater bar! Turns out that they had the main bearings in upside down.

Point here is that there are FAR more shady mechanics shop that will sell you a mucked up motor than there are decent shops. Comparing my chances at the idea of a rebuilt motor being junk to one I could do myself? I'll handle it personally.

As for Jasper, I have heard nothing good. Personal interaction with them? None. Why would I? Public opinion speaks volumes for me.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Public opinion speaks volumes for me.
I find public opinion much too flakey for comfort and rarly correlating well with rational thought patterns. The real world results data works much better for me personally.

Quick Reply: Autozone Engines