2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:44 PM
gearjammer95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering problems

Just bought a 2500 with 4x4 and 360 and automatic. It was a work truck with a flat bed on it. Has 220,000 miles and while driving it tends to wonder bad. It usually wonders off to the left and need to turn wheel quite a bit to right to compensate. I looked under it and I see a bar that connects to pitman arm back to the passenger side wheel with the steering stabilizer also. I can grab that bar and twist it. I quess it is the bushings wore out ?
I have no experience replacing suspension parts. What do I need to fix this.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

those rods have glorified names like drag links, etc, but they're just tie rods. the one on my passenger side will rotate up and down a lot, and that's not a problem, however, all those joints should be tight - and have no side/side play from the steering wheel. you can pry around on it one piece at a time, and anything that's loose needs replacement. you'll need a few tools like a pickle fork, and probably an idler arm puller, and maybe a 2 jaw puller. all these do exactly the same thing, in that they separate that tapered joint that's used on all those ends. if you're replacing the part and don't care about the boot, the pickle fork is the quick and dirty way. if you intend to reuse the part, then you have to be a little gentle to save the boot, or replace the boot.

you can rent these tools at autozone or advance, but they're not very expensive to buy, although sometimes the cheap ones break.

a good way to start is to take it to a tire/front end shop and describe your problem and ask for an estimate. pay attention - and watch how the guy prys on the parts to look for movement. the parts and labor for these front ends are expensive - so you can be shocked at the repair cost. hem/haw about how you can't afford it, and come away with a detailed list of bad parts, and then price them out a rockauto or other. repeat the test at home and see if you understand what you're trying to fix. if so, then try one of the parts. if you plan to keep the truck, don't scrimp on the parts. you'll quickly discover that it hard, heavy, and dirty work and you don't want to go through all that work and put cheap-*** parts back on it. you want something that carries a lifetime warranty. moog is expensive, but its the best. autozone stuff probably carries a lifetime warranty, so you can compare pricing with it. personally, i would avoid non-brand name ebay stuff. it might be ok, but if it doesn't fit, or it does wear out, the exchange process is going to be time consuming and impractical.

expensive parts that are likely to need replacing -
track bar, ball joints, possibly steering box, possibly wheel bearings, etc.

for play in the steering box only - assuming no other major problems, you can do true wonders by simply adjusting the play in the box. see the DIY sticky's for a how to. this simple fix changed my truck from an undriveable monster to a reasonable driving truck. i had about 5 or 6 inches of play in the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: steering problems