2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Originally Posted by ramsport-99
we get them from an outside company that specializes in auto tranny's, we also have one for engines. I have rebuilt a couple myself, but i wasnt a fan, and i didnt have the right tools. i got lucky they even worked after i was done
Tranny's for 1700? Is there a "dodgeforum member discount"?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramsport-99
we get them from an outside company that specializes in auto tranny's, we also have one for engines. I have rebuilt a couple myself, but i wasnt a fan, and i didnt have the right tools. i got lucky they even worked after i was done
Ohh ok...Just seemed a bit strange, figured I'd ask.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
ramsport-99
Rookie

ya, im an assistant manager at a parts store in northern VT. I have a long background in the auto industry. I even went to a tech school for automotive technology back 9 years ago, worked at a few dealerships, went on my own for a while, and finnaly got sick of working on everyone elses stuff while mine got neglected. The four things i dont like r AC, auto trannies, vacuum leaks, and electrickery. Im very good with mechanical things like gears, engines, manual trans, transfercases, exhaust, brakes, axles, all the stuff that either works or dont lol. I dont claim to know alot because there is always somthing u havent seen, and ppl always want u to fix thier car.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HTM, any progress with the trans?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:54 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm just going to get a local shop to redo it. I haven't done anything yet though. I got to thinking about it and I really don't want to pull the transmission, send the torque converter in, get it back and put it all back in. Then take the chance it wont work.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

When you installed the APS transmission, did you remove the check ball from the cooler line? It's obviously the TCC engaging when it shouldn't, I wouldn't have wasted my time changing the GPS. The TCC can engage/partially engage when fluid flow is restricted and line pressure drops. Pull the return cooler line and place it in a jug. Have someone turn the truck on and shift it into neutral. You should get at least 1 quart of fluid within 10-15 seconds. If it just dribbles or pisses out, you've found the problem.

The clutch material in the pan shows that line pressure isn't what it should be and the clutches are slipping. I'd suspect a defective front pump or blockage in the cooling circuit.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removed the check valve when I installed the APS. I haven't fulled a line to see how much fluid pumps out though.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem