2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CEL - Failed TCC or Overdrive Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 PM
jamesnb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL - Failed TCC or Overdrive Solenoid

I got a CEL code P1740 with says:
Definition: TCC or overdrive solenoid performance condition
Explanation: Vehicle at cruise speed and ECM detected a rational error in the overdrive or TCC solenoid circuit
Probable cause: Failed TCC or overdrive solenoid or open or shorted circuit condition
Does anybody have any information on this or know where to start to troubleshoot it?
What's the TCC and where is the overdrive solenoid?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The solenoids are bolted to the valvebody, to change them you need to remove the valvebody.

I would start by checking fuses and the transmission wiring.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

I had to get my transmission rebuilt to get rid of that code. But I had a lot wrong with the transmission besides that CEL.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Kraiger
Veteran

I have had this code many times. First time needed a torque converter. Second time it took the Dealership 3 months to figure it out and it need a converter and a rebuild. Also it came on when i need a Gov. pressure switch, and Solenoid pack. Good thing it was all covered by mopar..... TCC = Torque Converter Clutch

Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Originally Posted by Kraiger
I have had this code many times. First time needed a torque converter. Second time it took the Dealership 3 months to figure it out and it need a converter and a rebuild. Also it came on when i need a Gov. pressure switch, and Solenoid pack. Good thing it was all covered by mopar..... TCC = Torque Converter Clutch

+1 There is a lot that will throw this code. Its a real pain to figure out.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
jamesnb
Professional

I had been towing my boat a long way when it came on. It's really heavy. The truck seems to take off fine and there doesn't seem to be any problem with going in and out of overdrive.
Will it hurt anything to keep driving it?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 AM
jamesnb
Professional

I've done a lot of reading and it doesn't look like it's a big deal to replace the solenoid pack. Just drop the pan and the valve body is right there. I've never been inside an automative tranny other than to replace the filter but I've rebuild the tranny on my inboard boat.
I'm thinking I'll replace the solenoid pack, change the fluid and adjust the bands and see what happens.
If i still get a code, I'll head for the dealership unless replacing the torque converter myself is within my ability.
Any comments other than keep everything clean and neat and keep track of everything?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 AM
KYHI
Rookie

The truck seems to take off fine and there doesn't seem to be any problem with going in and out of overdrive.
Have you tried resetting the code and seeing if it comes back?? Under normal driving...
Because you where towing a heavy load - it may have increased the pressure or something to cause it to throw that code.. If there is a defective solenoid it will throw the code again...

Check out this site for good prices on replacement parts - http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com

Last edited by KYHI; 05-04-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Kraiger
Veteran

do you pull in OD?? i towed a car from north dakota to ohio and when i was asleep my uncle was driving (NEVER again). He pulled for about 8 hours in OD. when i took back over the lights started comming on. Smoked the torque converter and it went through the tranny. If you can do the torque converter i would, Plus DO NOT put a stock on back in. I know around here there is a guy that will cut them appart and beef them up big time for fraction of the cost of a new one. Get something strong because theres trannys are weak. Thats my opinion.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 AM
jamesnb
Professional

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I'll drop the pan and change the filter and fluid and replace the solenoid pack, erase the code and see what happens.
I took it for a spin on the hiway today and it cruised along like a Cadillac in overdrive (60 MPH at 1800 rpm) and I took it out of overdrive and it downshifted and ran fine.
I wouldn't be surprized if it is the torque converter. It takes off from a stop fine now but with the load, it was slow taking off from a dead stop and getting it moving again.
I did tow in overdrive at some points when the hiway flat for a long distance. The tranny temp light never came on.

Is it difficult to drop the tranny and separate the torque converter? Any leads on this beefed up torgue converter?
Is

Quick Reply: CEL - Failed TCC or Overdrive Solenoid