2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear lift blocks for 1500

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 AM
GC99RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If your truck is a 1500, then you can not use a block from a 2500 or a 3500. The leaf springs on a 1500 are not as wide as the 2500/3500. So when you put the new block on there, it will be wider then your leaf springs, and you will not be able to get the u-bolts on it correctly.

5" block on a 1500 is a lot in my opinion. You might need a zero rate to turn your axle back to the correct angle.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
JohnnyZJ
Professional

i just ordered a 2" addaleaf from my local offroad shop. 60$. supposed to give 2" will bring up my sagging rear end nice i think.......... no messing with blocks. rather not mess with it!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Oroblram

i put a 5" block and 1" AAL on my rear end and have had zero issues, and ive had my poor dodgey all sorts of sideways. In reality i would have prefered to just get new leafs made but the block was a quick job. For your front you can either do a spring spacer or get taller coils. Depending on how high you go you may want to get longer shocks and control arms, but for a couple inches you should be fine.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 PM
ramminit99
Rookie

Where would you find a 2" lift block? Everyone I've found ends up being an additional block that you stock on top of the factory block. I put an AAL in mine, but I decided I don't like the ride change, and want to go back the other route, and it didn't raise the rear enough and still looks like the rear is sagging a bit... Sorry to hijack, but I figured it might help you out as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 PM
GC99RAM
Professional

your not hijacking, that is a really good concern. I too would like to know where you can get a 5" block. According to Rough Contry, there is no such thing and stacking blocks are perfectly safe as they do it all the time.. (I personally don't think so). I was going to try to get the 3500 5" block, but Silver says it wouldn't work and I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

Oroblram, where did you get your solid 5" block?

The car shops around here in MN haven't got a clue when you ask them about raising your truck... heck, three auto parts stores didn't even know what a lift block was. I was like wth?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Kraiger
Veteran

Silver is right with the block being wider than your 1500 leaf but thats what i have on mine right now. I have 1500 springs and a 3/4 ton block. Not sure why a one ton block wouldnt work....I have been wrong in the past though but in my application it is working.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by GC99RAM
your not hijacking, that is a really good concern. I too would like to know where you can get a 5" block. According to Rough Contry, there is no such thing and stacking blocks are perfectly safe as they do it all the time.. (I personally don't think so). I was going to try to get the 3500 5" block, but Silver says it wouldn't work and I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

Oroblram, where did you get your solid 5" block?

The car shops around here in MN haven't got a clue when you ask them about raising your truck... heck, three auto parts stores didn't even know what a lift block was. I was like wth?
There's a reason for that...Minnesota has one of the most restrictive (and lame) height laws in the country. Thats not to say people don't violate it in your state, but if you live near or drive into any large municipality, you could be pulled over.

BTW, the law only allows a MAXIMUM of 25 inches from the bottom of the bumper to the pavement. Thats front an REAR. My truck is one inch of going Illegal. It isn't illegal to install lift components but you may have to retitle your vehicle...which is why no one sells that stuff.
I only hope you live in some backwoods Northern burg (no offense intended) where the law turns a blind eye.
OOHH..you live in Minneapolis. OUCH!
How do I know this?...my GF is from the twin cities, and I considered moving there.

Nothing against those who do, but Iv'e seen one perfectly good Dodge ruined when his stacked lift blocks decided to fly apart when he rounded a corner and tapped (his words) a curb. Picture a brand new 38 inch swamper ground into the rear fender...and I mean ground just short of blowing apart. He didn't think it would happen to him...but he was wrong!
Thats why I don't stack blocks...

Last edited by dsertdog56; 05-04-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
GC99RAM
Professional

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
There's a reason for that...Minnesota has one of the most restrictive (and lame) height laws in the country. Thats not to say people don't violate it in your state, but if you live near or drive into any large municipality, you could be pulled over.

BTW, the law only allows a MAXIMUM of 25 inches from the bottom of the bumper to the pavement. Thats front an REAR. My truck is one inch of going Illegal. It isn't illegal to install lift components but you may have to retitle your vehicle...which is why no one sells that stuff.
I only hope you live in some backwoods Northern burg (no offense intended) where the law turns a blind eye.
OOHH..you live in Minneapolis. OUCH!
How do I know this?...my GF is from the twin cities, and I considered moving there.

Nothing against those who do, but Iv'e seen one perfectly good Dodge ruined when his stacked lift blocks decided to fly apart when he rounded a corner and tapped (his words) a curb. Picture a brand new 38 inch swamper ground into the rear fender...and I mean ground just short of blowing apart. He didn't think it would happen to him...but he was wrong!
Thats why I don't stack blocks...

You are dead on with that one man! The local laws here are 25 inches from the bumper down. I love to argue that with the local law officals with the debate on why the state would allow the local sales of the F350 Superduty's and the Ram 3500 loaded with the Cummings. My argument is they are illegal from the factory but are permitted to be run out here... whatever....

I did find a local "off road" shop here in Burnsville MN. I saw some of the jeep TJ's and CJ's they had on display and about laughed so hard that I threw up in my mouth. Their version of a lifted Jeep was a 2" suspension and a 2" body lift. In the south a lifted Jeep was one that you had to have a ladder to get into 44's with dual shock kits.. Haven't seen one yet here.

They do turn a blind eye to most of that stuff as long as you're mature and it helps not to do stupid things on the road. There are a lot of lifted Superduty's and some Ram's, but not many.

I come from the south where trucks are lifted from the dealer to sell them. It's almost a given that if you own a 4x4... it's going to be lifted 6"+. If you see one that isn't.. they are usually an old man or they just bought it. I'm really not used to the Quaker laws they have here and really don't understand it, but I'm glad the Police don't give you hell about mods that you do to YOUR truck.

Yeah, when he told me to just stack them.. I said ohhh and hung up the phone... No way am I stacking blocks I really don't want to tear my stuff up.

Anyway, I'll keep looking into other lift kit companies and see who sells them and let you guys know.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by GC99RAM
You are dead on with that one man! The local laws here are 25 inches from the bumper down. I love to argue that with the local law officals with the debate on why the state would allow the local sales of the F350 Superduty's and the Ram 3500 loaded with the Cummings. My argument is they are illegal from the factory but are permitted to be run out here... whatever....

I did find a local "off road" shop here in Burnsville MN. I saw some of the jeep TJ's and CJ's they had on display and about laughed so hard that I threw up in my mouth. Their version of a lifted Jeep was a 2" suspension and a 2" body lift. In the south a lifted Jeep was one that you had to have a ladder to get into 44's with dual shock kits.. Haven't seen one yet here.

They do turn a blind eye to most of that stuff as long as you're mature and it helps not to do stupid things on the road. There are a lot of lifted Superduty's and some Ram's, but not many.

I come from the south where trucks are lifted from the dealer to sell them. It's almost a given that if you own a 4x4... it's going to be lifted 6"+. If you see one that isn't.. they are usually an old man or they just bought it. I'm really not used to the Quaker laws they have here and really don't understand it, but I'm glad the Police don't give you hell about mods that you do to YOUR truck.

Yeah, when he told me to just stack them.. I said ohhh and hung up the phone... No way am I stacking blocks I really don't want to tear my stuff up.

Anyway, I'll keep looking into other lift kit companies and see who sells them and let you guys know.
LMPOFTAO!!!! If you're from the south...you are REALLY gonna love thier gun laws! Those make the bumper law tolerable. The "sportsmen" up there sold thier souls to keep thier shotguns and "hunting rifles". And yet folks still kill each other regularly with "illegal" handguns and "resticted" assault weapons.

Quick Reply: Rear lift blocks for 1500