2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

throttle stickin'....and it's not a Toyota O.o

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 AM
neinundnein
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does roughly the same thing. Although mine I believe is caused by the fuel injector cleaner i put in. I don't really mind it though. You might wanna check what the voltage is on your IAC (backprobe VT/BK (+) and BR/WT (-). It should fluctuate when u rev ranging from low to hi throttle. I doubt it would be the TPS because as far as I know, manual trucks dont use it. It determines clutch and torque converter operation in auto trannies.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

TPS is also used to determine when the PCM adds fuel for acceleration. Kinda like the accelerator pump on a carb. Manual and auto use the TPS.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not that this is you're problem but.....
Spray the throttle cable I had mine stick while I was doing 70 and hit a traffic jam.
Unlike most toyota owners I knew to shut the engine off and shift into Neutral.

It had the symptoms you are describing shortly before this happened. Quick tap of the pedal would lower RPMS.

It happened twice.
I sprayed cable and linkage under hood the 1st time with some WD40 that I had in the truck.
After the 2nd time I sprayed the end above the accelerator pedal where I saw it was a little rusty.....Never happened again

Moral of the story check the cable for a kink or some rust every once in a while..

Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Suppose I oughta check that out, tomorrow before I go to work then. I was just kidding about the toyota deal...Would be mad if it actually happened. Hopefully tho, that is the problem. Would be an easier fix, than takin the throttle body off, and checkin sensors and the such.

I'll check it out, and let ya know tho :P Did you ever replace the rusty part?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:50 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No I never replaced the cable it appeared to be surface rust..... Now in saying that it'll probably be worse and the throttle cable will snap.
Better than sticking though..

Quick Reply: throttle stickin'....and it's not a Toyota O.o