2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

nv3500 to 46rh

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM
1994ram1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nv3500 to 46rh

anybody ever swap the 5 speed nv3500 for a 46rh? What all goes into it? how different are the transmission lengths, would i need new driveshafts? the 46rh is standalone correct? The nv3500 is going out (bearings, 2nd gear synchro, etc) i have heard they are absolutely insanely difficult to rebuild, i dont want to spend 1,000 for a new one and i figured i coudl get a 46 rh pretty cheap and rebuild it myself.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a nv4500 and save all the hassle of new computers and steering column's and shift linkages and radiator's and a ton of other stuff..the nv4500 was a drop in for me..

Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

This is the first time I've EVER seen someone actually WANT to trade a stick for an auto. I'm the exact opposite. I want to trade my auto for a stick and there are many others like me.

mrfarrel, you said your NV4500 was a drop in. Does this mean the 4500s and 3500s are the same length?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 PM
1994ram1500
Rookie

im just sick of the peice of junk 3500 in my truck. iwould rebuild it but they say its one of the most difficult

Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran

in the 4wd's yes i don't know about the 2wd's..iv done an auto to standard conversion also if you need pointer's..and thats why you should go to a 4500 there a way more built transmission im assuming you have a 318 because thats what came standard with it i toasted my 3500 within a week of upgrading to the 5.9 and i only had 42k miles on it with a bone stock 318..a little beefer version of the 4500 is used on the diesel's if that doesnt say enough..

Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Thanks for the reply! mrfarrel, I don't now how much time you have to invest, but there are a lot of people who could benefit from some sort of write up on the conversion, including a parts list.

Did you have to swap wire harnesses? I know the PCM has to change unless I drive around with a check engine light. What about the bellhousing? Is can the auto's bell housing be used?

Sorry to berrate you with questions, but there have been a lot of people who claim they're going to do the swap, and then when someone asks them to take pics or do a write up to help others, they're never heard from again. It's rare to find someone who has actually done it.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran

iv could take picture's of my truck that had a nv3500 and was upgraded to a nv4500 in it if you'd like? or the truck that was an auto and now has a nv5600 in it? going from a auto to a standard i'll list some thing's off the top of my head..the bell housing is non removeable on the auto's if i remember correctly? transmission complete with shift tower bell housing and stick, clutch with flywheel pilot bearing and throw out bearing, shifter boot for inside of truck,clutch master and slave, pedal assembly,i used the engine wiring from the donor truck, interior wiring was all the same,steering column, i had to drill holes in the cab to mount the clutch reservoir there are two little indents on the cab to drill into thou the master cylinder just had a dummy cover where it needed to be bolted in..the cab didnt have a pre cut whole for the shifter either so i measured in reference to the transfercase shifter hole on the donor truck and cut it out with a small cutting wheel going slow so i didnt burn the seats or interior.. also on the speedo cluster your remove the PRND21 and replace it with a dummy plate its two phillips i believe..im just throwing things out there if you have any questions just ask..i had hollander on hand to help me with interchange i found it wasnt alway's correct thou but it was good to reference..

Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994ram1500
how different are the transmission lengths,
For a 4x4, the 46rh is 7 inches longer than the nv3500. I don't know about 2wd, but I assume it would be the same. But yes, you will need a new driveshaft.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 AM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by mrfarrell
iv could take picture's of my truck that had a nv3500 and was upgraded to a nv4500 in it if you'd like? or the truck that was an auto and now has a nv5600 in it? going from a auto to a standard i'll list some thing's off the top of my head..the bell housing is non removeable on the auto's if i remember correctly? transmission complete with shift tower bell housing and stick, clutch with flywheel pilot bearing and throw out bearing, shifter boot for inside of truck,clutch master and slave, pedal assembly,i used the engine wiring from the donor truck, interior wiring was all the same,steering column, i had to drill holes in the cab to mount the clutch reservoir there are two little indents on the cab to drill into thou the master cylinder just had a dummy cover where it needed to be bolted in..the cab didnt have a pre cut whole for the shifter either so i measured in reference to the transfercase shifter hole on the donor truck and cut it out with a small cutting wheel going slow so i didnt burn the seats or interior.. also on the speedo cluster your remove the PRND21 and replace it with a dummy plate its two phillips i believe..im just throwing things out there if you have any questions just ask..i had hollander on hand to help me with interchange i found it wasnt alway's correct thou but it was good to reference..
Good info, mrfarrell. Thank you!

Since I know that finding a donor truck with the 360 V8 and an NV4500 is like a needle in a hay stack, I'd probably need a truck with a 318 and a 3500 for most parts since these are much more plentiful.

If I found a donor truck with the 318 and NV3500, I could swap everything over except the flywheel and tranny right? That includes the clutch master cylinder, clutch pedal, shift tower, shift lever, boot, trim, mounts, bell housing, PCM and wiring harness, and other things I'm probably forgetting. I'd want to use a rebuilt trans instead of one with a bunch of miles on it and very few include a bell housing with them. I think the 360 takes a different flywheel since it's externally balance. Am I correct?

Thank you again for your reply, mrfarrell. Can't tell you how many times I've asked for someone to follow up with info and they disappear. You have my respect, sir.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran

yes everything would be the same in a donor truck with a 318 except the pcm (its engine specific) flywheel and transmission..you could use that transmission to get you by for a bit if you have a really light foot...there's alot of 3/4 ton's out there with the 5.9 nv4500 combo look for one of those..

Last edited by mrfarrell; 05-12-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: nv3500 to 46rh