2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:20 PM
longram94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge

on my 1994 dodge ram the oil pressure gauge reads 0 never moves or bounces. I think it might just be the sending unit and its only 15 bucks so i might try it. but i was wondering if theres any test that can be done to verify its the sending unit, or test the wiring and the gauge? Thanks

Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I think, when you turn the key to start, the gauges are supposed to 'test', and will go to the end of the sweep. You can check this theory by starting your truck, and watching one of the OTHER gauges. See if it does. If it does, and the OP gauge does not.... problem is in the dash.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think, when you turn the key to start, the gauges are supposed to 'test', and will go to the end of the sweep. You can check this theory by starting your truck, and watching one of the OTHER gauges. See if it does. If it does, and the OP gauge does not.... problem is in the dash.
My 1994 has never done that and all the gauges work.

To the OP
Is the sensor plugged in? It is at the back of the motor next to the distributer.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The manual I have is for an '01... so, unfortunately, not all of my information is accurate.......

I haven't noticed if my 96 does it......

Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can install a manual gauge in place of the electronic sending unit. go to the parts store and measure a replacement sending unit, then find a manual gauge with the same fitting. i thinks its a pipe thread. you might even be able to rent the manual gauge.

another idea would be to pull a sending unit off any mid-90's dodge ram, dak, durango, or ram van in the junk yard. you could probably get it for $1.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 AM
neinundnein
Talking I had the same problem

I had the same problem when I first got my truck in October. It wouldnt even run cuz the switch shut off the fuel pump to the engine cuz of a false positive. Here's what you need to do. Turn your engine on, Test the gauge by grounding the sending unit on the block (next to distributor in rear). (OR is the feed,BL/LB is the ground, and GY/BK is the signal) The needle on the gauge should fluctuate. It may or may not set off the light too-mine which is a 94 as well has the light on when the key is on and sometimes went off when i grounded the wire. If the light changes or the gauge fluctuates, the gauge in the cluster and wiring are good and you have a bad sending unit. (Have fun getting it out! My buddy and I spent like very frustrating days on it and finally snapped it with a wrench.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
longram94

thanks for all the tips guys. i replaced the sending unit last night and it fixed the problem.

it only took my 20 min, but without the body lift i could see how it could be a pain

Quick Reply: oil pressure gauge