2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Guy needs help

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Gw23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy needs help

Ok, well I have a 2001 1500. 4x4 5.9L 360. Its extened cab.

I have had a rattle that seems to coincide with the tire rotation. Took it to one shop, they didn't help (but seemed to find plenty wrong with the breaks). Took it to anther shop that I trust, they found that it was the passenger front u-joint. The tech actually replaced the rear u-joint (end of drive shaft, this was free btw so no foul play on the shops part) on accident, then replaced the correct one (passenger front). Didn't hear the noise that afternoon on way home, didn't hear it on my way to work, but when I left work this afternoon it was back. Not as bad as before but it was back. I would have taken it back today but just didn't have a ride back to my house (I would have left it there over night and would have needed a ride to work the next day as well). I checked the joints in the front and both seemed tight. So I am not sure thats it. Anyone have any insights? The noise is really hard to describe, sounds like two gears gently rubbing without engaging or something (kinda like a faster version of a roller coaster chain going up the hill). I just kinda want a list of things that I can tell the guys at the shop to check on top of the drivers u-joint and other obvious things. My only guess is maybe wheel bearings?

And now, for problem number 2. I have a coolant leak. I can smell it in the ac/heat sometimes. I had the heater core replaced last year, as well as all new hoses and radiator. Any one know where a common leak might be found?

Sorry for the book, and thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Wheel bearings would be a good bet. If another shop found a bunch wrong with your brakes.... that would be something I would take a close look at as well. Also ball joints. (though I find that less likely than the other two possibilities.)

For the coolant leak, park your truck when it is warm, and when you come back out, look on the ground, and see if you see anything. (one of the best ways to find a leak....) If you don't, then look for green staining anywhere that it seems likely, especially the water pump, and where hoses are clamped.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Gw23

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wheel bearings would be a good bet. If another shop found a bunch wrong with your brakes.... that would be something I would take a close look at as well. Also ball joints. (though I find that less likely than the other two possibilities.)

For the coolant leak, park your truck when it is warm, and when you come back out, look on the ground, and see if you see anything. (one of the best ways to find a leak....) If you don't, then look for green staining anywhere that it seems likely, especially the water pump, and where hoses are clamped.
I haven't seen a spot on the concrete lately (a while ago I would every once in a while) we found one lose clamp, and tightened it down. Have looked extensively in the engine compartment, no staining. I forgot to mention the water pump was also replaced not to long ago as well.

The first shop replaced pretty much everything in the rear as far as brakes, and said the fronts were fine. ( I think they kinda took me for the rear stuff though) The second, trusted, shop didn't see anything wrong with the brakes either. I just went out and pretty much shook everything that I could get my hands on under the thing (at least suspension or drivetrain parts) and didn't find anything that seemed loose. Also, didn't hear anything making the noise. I wish I could ride under it (as funny as this would be, a little do dangerous for me, haha) and listen so I could figure out exactly where its coming from. Sometimes it seems like the right, other times the left. I am honestly leaning towards wheel bearings, but who knows, maybe it is just the drivers side u-joint.

It seems to really get loud when turning right.

Also, I have about 150,000 miles.

Last edited by Gw23; 05-11-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: add mileage.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Ok, find yourself a nice large EMPTY parking lot. Run the truck up to about 20mph, or, so you can hear the sound nicely, and then turn the truck as hard as you feel safe. Try both directions, listen for the noise to change. If it DOES, then it is probably wheel bearings, and the culprit will be the one on the OUTSIDE of the turn, when the noise changes. (loads the bearing more, so, bad bearing + more load = more noise.)

Did you jack the truck up to shake things? Loaded, things don't move much, unloaded is a different story. (if you have bad parts...)

Coolant also passes thru the timing chain cover.... so, check that for leaks as well. Not getting any in your oil are you??

Old 05-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Gw23

That makes sense about the wheel bearings. I think I will suggest that tomorrow when I drop it off. The timing chain etc. all got replaced as well. This leak has been going on for a while and have tried numerous things to try to fix it. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions that hadn't tried yet, just couldn't remeber them all till you mentioned them.