2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hellwig rear sway bar kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hellwig rear sway bar kit

Just wondering if anybody has it and how they like it?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Why do you want it? Do you do serious towing? Run road courses? (with a truck??) For normal, every day driving, you won't notice a difference, aside from your wallet being thinner.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:06 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

I do tow quite often as I run a small lawn business. Just want it to handle a little better, maybe a little less body roll.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 2500s had a rear sway bar, not sure what it would take to mount up to our trucks

Old 05-12-2010, 04:11 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude keep the money and buy a scag or exmark rid on mower or a bigger trailer/truck.

I'm also in the landscape bussiness now partner in a small company.

Last edited by dodge15004x45.9; 05-12-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamSport97
Just wondering if anybody has it and how they like it?
I have the Hellwig on my 2500. It made a huge difference for me when I have the camper on there which is probably about 3500lbs loaded. It's not that heavy I know but it is way up there and top heavy not to mention shaped like a big wind catching sail which is also a big contributing factor. I also put the RideRite Firestone airbags on mine. Both together is sweet. The airbags by themselves weren't quite enough anti sway for my tastes. I probably could have done without for the amount of camping we do but the drive is a bit white knuckle without it. Plus this year I'll have my trailer full of dirt bikes out back along with the camper. I'd definitely recomend it for anyone putting on alot of miles with a big load. It just makes the ride that much more relaxing since you aren't fighting to counteract sway with the steering wheel the whole trip. Of course a 3500 lb camper on top of a 6" lift on 36" tires is kind of worst case scenario as far as setups likely to sway alot.

I'd also look at Roadmaster sway bars as well as they are even beefier than the Hellwigs. I just got the Hellwig to save a little $$$. One thing I like about the Hellwig which I don't know if the Roadmaster could handle is the Hellwig works fine with my 6" lift but that's about as big a lift as the Hellwig kit could handle.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've wanted one for some time beause of towing I do as well. They make a difference on 2500's I have driven, so i've wanted to put one on my 1/2 ton. But, I don't care for how they kinda hang down. I think I would probably tear it up wheeling. And you don't really want one on a wheeling rig anyway because it will inhibit flex. So if I get one, it will have to have some sort of quick disconnect.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:04 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to pick one up, I actually found an Addco kit for $182 shipped, so not to bad. We just have some curvy roads around here and if I could improve the handling even more that would be great. Right now I just have the energy suspension front sway bar bushings and Bilstein HD shocks all the way around.

Dakota- Did some research on that, the sway bars that come factory on the 2500s have brackets welded onto the axle where they mount, our 1/2 tons don't, would require a little fab, and even then, those factory sway bars aren't near as thick as the hellwig product.

Ugly- When I was searching about this, I found that you had one, As you said, it would be a necessity for that camper.

Max, I already have two ride on ex-marks.

Silver, if you call Hellwig, I believe they do make adjustable end links to fit your lift with quick disconnects.

Quick Reply: Hellwig rear sway bar kit