2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

May be selling the Dodge - Whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default May be selling the Dodge - Whats it worth?

I may be selling my 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 reg cab long box. I have had enough of its constant problems. This year the motor lost oil pressure, the unit bearings failed, tranny failed, and now the rear end is bad. I am not sure of my decision yet but I am wondering what you think it is worth. I am hoping to get 2.5-3K for it. I have owned it for 4 years and have put about 18k miles on it. It currently has 185K.

5.2L swapped to 5.9L - 108K on motor, new gaskets, plenum fixed, modded kegger, timing chain, headers with magnaflow cat + flowmaster, electric fan, taylor cable wires, new cap + rotor, MSD coil

Trans- 5K since rebuild, TCI internals, new torque converter, B+M pan, Large tranny cooler, new lines

Interior - sony head unit, oil pressure and trans temp gauges on pillar, clean

Body - rusted out cab corners and doors, fenders are rusty inside, drivers fender dented, very nice heavy duty rear bumper, paint chipped and peeling, I have nealry rust free doors that I could sell cheap too if the new owner wanted them.

Other - new shocks, u-joints, water pump, everything but A/C compressor is new on serpentine drive, new 1-ton steering box, new radiator, all new brakes including lines, posi-lock, ect

Do you think I could get what I want? The body is rough but the drivetrain is solid. There are a ton of new parts that I just didn't think of. I did all the work myself so i understand that may lower the value to some people.

Like I said I haven't made up my mind yet, but I need something reliable and would like a fresh start as I don't trust this truck at all. I am looking at 90's chevy/gmc 2500 4x4s as a replacement.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:39 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you have pics?? i dunno 94 purdy old. thats the 1st year of 2nd gens.. i would get a newer one like a 98 and newer and use the one ya got for parts

Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Trouble is, most folks that are buying, will look at the body, and base their offers on that. You could invest 50,000 dollars into a balanced, blueprinted, supercharged 1000 HP motor, and if there were rust holes in the body..... folks would low-ball you anyway.

Given that you have already addressed your trucks major issues, engine, trans, and the like, why not just score another rear from a junkyard, go thru it, slam it into your truck, and have a mechanically sound daily driver? If you go out and buy something else, unless it is new, you are just going to inherit a new set of problems. (i have done this before, for a few hundred dollars in parts, you get a nice 'new' rear end, and have the advantage of being able to take your time getting it set up, and everything 'right'. Hell, you can even paint it if ya want.)

Not sure about where you are... but, around here, when I went looking for a 3/4 ton chevy 4x4..... I couldn't find one that was actually worth what they were asking. Since the 'cash for clunkers' program..... used chevy trucks have become rare as hens teeth (hence, the reason I am driving a dodge.), and the ones you find, demand a premium price, even for a high mileage piece of crap. Best one I found was a 96 half ton, 4x4, extended cab long bed..... with 180,000 miles, and they STILL wanted 5,000 for it... so, it would probably need a trans, engine rebuild, and a fair few other things in the next 20K miles.

I paid less than 2K for the truck I have now. Granted, I have had to do some repairs on it, but, those are things I expect to have to do on ANY used vehicle I purchase. (well, ok, the plenum thing WAS a bit of a surprise.....) Still, I haven't put more than 300 into repairs, including the plenum, and I have a nice driving truck. I don't have to pay labor though..... and have a nice shop available to me pretty much every weekend.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

I dont have pics. I could get some but it seems like a PITA to post them here. I am in college and would have to sell this truck to afford another one. If I sold this truck the only dodge I would buy is a cummins and I can't afford one. I have much more trust in chevy's especially the old TBI ones as I personally know 3 that are over 300k miles and still run great with original trannies and engines. I could also use a 3/4 ton with the towing I do.

I have looked on CL and found plenty of nice 2500 4x4 chevys for less than 5K most around $3500 which is in my price range.

I already found a new rear end but I am just sick of all the problems this truck has. I will never trust it and no one in my family does either.

Last edited by Gerehead8; 05-11-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 PM
bardram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on the market in your area too, where I am that truck would probably be worth around 1500 max.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Maybe I make the body sound worse than it is. It is in decent shape for a 1994 that has been in WI and MI its whole life. It is no where near yakkiers truck. If I wasn't clear before the rear end will be replaced when I sell it. I have 8K into this truck easily, I am just sick of the constant problems.

It also has a 2" lift, spacers in front, AAL in rear, with 285/75/R16 all terrains.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
Maybe I make the body sound worse than it is. It is in decent shape for a 1994 that has been in WI and MI its whole life. It is no where near yakkiers truck. If I wasn't clear before the rear end will be replaced when I sell it. I have 8K into this truck easily, I am just sick of the constant problems.

It also has a 2" lift, spacers in front, AAL in rear, with 285/75/R16 all terrains.
if nothing else, at least yakkier has left us with a standard by which we can measure the rustiness of our trucks lol....

to Yakkier

Old 05-12-2010, 12:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerehead8

Still, you have will have already done most of the truly expensive repairs. Someone will get a hell of a deal, as you will most certainly not get all of your money back out of it.

Your vehicle is an investment. (which you have a good chunk invested in...) Not sure what other major repairs you could even have left..... I have been in the same boat before.... had FAR more invested in a vehicle than it would ever be worth.... was tired of the rolling repair bill, so I sold it... That was over ten years ago. I STILL see it on the road, and chat with the guy I sold it to.... Seems I did a good job, all he has done is maintenance, and the truck is still going strong..... On the other hand, I have gone thru several other vehicles since then..... I just sold my Blazer, as I didn't want to fall into the same trap again. It had tranny problems, and more oil leaks than gaskets could account for, so, as opposed to spending a boatload of money, and then having something else fail, I replaced it. Now, I have my truck..... and I am sorting thru ITs problems. Most were cheap repairs, the plenum is going to be the most expensive so far...... I am NOT looking forward to a failed trans, but, on this one..... I think I will actually fix it.

Quick Reply: May be selling the Dodge - Whats it worth?