2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Audio guys, help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 PM
greenmachine
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this with my 01. Installed kicker series component speakers and stayed with stock head unit. I dont want to lose my wheel controls. I however tied into the existing factory amp for each front door speaker. The rears are not "amped". The tweets (mine were blown) are "choked" so they will be ok dont expect them to last to long. I would save the headache and install a set of alpines that are mated to your 6X9's

The choke is inline so it is passive they do not get powered from an outside source.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:13 AM
CSXfan
All Star

I spent a few hours today trying to figure out what wires to splice into that feed the rear speakers (I didn't feel like trying to take the rear door panels off). It turns out that the 2001 wiring diagram has a completely different color code than my '99. It's kinda frusturating that Chrysler decided to change wire color every single time there is a plug I think I figured it out, hopefully there aren't any more plugs under the kickplate or behind the rear seat (the kickplate screws were too corroded to remove, and I wasn't even going to try removing the rear seat). I should just be able to run new wire to the harness right next to the emergency brake and then use the stock wiring from there...hopefully this works out.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 AM
KYHI
Rookie

OH, it seems you did not get a factory radio harness adapter kit..

Walmart $9

Old 05-15-2010, 01:35 PM
CSXfan
All Star

I did get the kit, and I had it installed professionally when I replaced the stock radio. The problem is that by bypassing the stock amps I cut power to the tweeters and the rear speakers.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I suggest just bypassing the whole mess and run new wires directly to new rear speakers....the old ones are ancient..they will distort befor the new ones in the front amp or no amp. I did this in both my dodge and my "premium bose system" in my vette and they both sound much better....(of course I added a couple amps and woofer(s) to each)

Old 05-16-2010, 12:47 AM
CSXfan
All Star

I tied into the existing rear speaker wire just before the harness runs under the kickplate on the drivers side. Yeah I know the rear speakers won't sound the best, but I just can't justify spending another $100 on speakers right now.

The Alpine 6x9s sound amazing, even though they're not amped. I couldn't be happier with my new front speakers. In the future I will probably replace the rear speakers and get an amp at the same time, but it will be a while. Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:27 PM
greenmachine
All Star

61 dollars for a set of Alpine Type-S SPS-500 after shipping

Quick Reply: Audio guys, help please