2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seafoam, Oil Pump or Both???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
shutterbugstudio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam, Oil Pump or Both???

The truck has 136000 miles on it. I am the second owner. (as of 2 weeks ago) Sat for about 6 months before I bought it because it would not start. They finally put new plugs in and it ran. That's when I got it. I had it for about a week and it died on the highway. Threw what I was told is a typical code for fuel pump. I put a new one in. I also replaced the cap, rotor and wires. Been running OK ever since. However, I am not all that confident in it yet. I want to change the oil and was going to use some seafoam. Then I thought that maybe I should drop the pan and replace the oil pump. The pressure gauge runs 20 on the low side and about 60 on the high.

I hope to keep this truck for a long time and I hear horror stories about the oil pump clogging and engines going.

So, seafoam and/or the oil pump? I tend to side on preventive maintenance but don't want to go too far. I've read everything I can on seafoam and it seems that most agree it's a good product if used correctly.

I know the oil needs to be changed, but should I go the extra mile and do the pump? Should I seafoam it before hand? Open to any suggestions. Thanks for putting up with my newbie ignorance.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i did seafoam to both me and my cousins truck the 1st time i have ever did i noticed a major diffrence it cleared alot up but thats over 100xxx i did it just a lil bit ago and didnt do much .. so if it hasnt been done i would.

you may have to change out your plugs after and pull out your o2 out so they dont get clogged here is a video of us doing it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buc5cN1nZHM

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Seafoam is a great product when used through the PVC Valve or the brake booster.
YOur problem where ur oil is dropping to 20 psi is 90% likely that you have plenum blow out in the intake manifold. Changing this gasket and adding the Hughes Plenum Reinforcement kit guarantees it won't happen again. Only costs $90 from Hughes online (If you can DIY) Heres the link: http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...4&partid=22220

Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

While your changing the oil pump you might want to do the rear main seal while you are in there.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM
shutterbugstudio
Default Bad to drive as is?

Thanks for all the great advice. I went ahead and ordered the Plenum. I plan on putting that on first and then possibly tackling the oil pump.

I know some of you have probably replied to the same type of posts over and over again. Really appreciate the time.

I'll report back on the results.

One last question. Is it bad to drive the truck with a blown Plenum? I may have to take about a 250 mile road trip before I can get it installed.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Go easy on the gas, keep the engine out of spark knock territory (another symptom of a blown plenum) and watch your oil level. Mine burns about a quart every 100 miles. All the parts are gather together, just gotta find the time to get it done.

Quick Reply: Seafoam, Oil Pump or Both???