2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm sad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Sniperinhisname
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I'm sad...

I just looked down my TB and sadly she is covered in oil.
so looks like some of my next paycheck is going to the good folks down at Hughes for their aluminum plenum plate and everything else. but i guess this is a good time clean up the engine bay a little. I'm thinking while i have it all apart, i'll take the kegger and clean it at my old high school (yay chemical cleaners) and paint it hemi orange or something cool like that. (in no relation to purpl lol) just did a full tune up like 500 miles ago so that's fine and replaced the t-stat about 3 months ago. i looked something fierce and i didn't see the death flash sticker anywhere just the p/n sticker on the pcm so no deathflash i hope. truck still has good get up and go but my lord does she ping like a mother so i'm hoping this will get rid of it. Any suggestions or tips are very welcome and thank you for reading my long *** post haha

Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think every magnum 5.2/5.9 ever made leaks...

pinging is bad for the engine and creates a significant loss of power. try higher octane gas as a temporary fix.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use supreme in mine quite frequently lately, it helps alot to lessen the pinging. Little more pricey, but not as bad as everyone thinks....

With mine, the pinging is kinda like mood swings lol.... some days I can romp on it all day if I want, but other days it'll start pinging if I look out the window at it. There has been a few days where it'll be pingin real bad, then I'll stop for gas and fill er up with supreme and 20 minutes later I can romp on it again without pinging... weird I know, but it does the trick, temporarily at least...

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Sniperinhisname
Professional

hmmmm premium huh? i'll try it but the weird thing is it sounds almost like an exhaust leak and it happens every day. is that what the ping sounds like? more of a tick tick tick tick that keeps in time with the rpms

Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

I actually just got back from fillin er up with supreme

My dad had an exhaust leak at the manifold on his 96 Dakota, and it sounded like it was gonna blow up, ticking like a ****.... but differently from the pinging sound, so there is a chance you have a leak in the exhaust, but if you have oil down in there then you probably* have a blown gasket.

heres a vid of mine pinging, turn yer speakers up and see if it is similiar to yours....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZYAbcBr80

Last edited by Maxx_Magnum; 05-20-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Sniperinhisname
Professional

all i heard was a noise kinda like a rock being thrown around the engine. i even messed with the bass and treble on my speakers. Yeah mines just a steady tick tick tick tick tick. but i don't believe it does it when its cold. time for true duals with pacesetter long tubes! been looking for a reason to get them. 300 bucks on jegs for the painted ones i think.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:45 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

the tick tick tick could be the PCV valve or fuel injectors...

Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

yup if its a constant tick tick tick, I would check the pcv valve first. I had that same ticking, kinda like a tapping, and it turned out to be that.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Sniperinhisname
Professional

pcv valve a difficult change or is it alright? i just want my baby smooth as butter. loud.. but smooth lol

Old 05-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

nope, takes about 2 mins and 5 bucks look on the passenger side valve cover, it just pops off and pops back in

Quick Reply: I'm sad...